View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:26 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

I spent most of the day with the bus. Learn more each time I crawl around on/under it. I'm still impressed with the engineering they did back in the 30s and 40s. And it was all done with a slide rule, pencil and paper. Intelligent people who could think and do math.

In the pics. All the controls are mounted on the bus body, connected with linkages. Nothing is attached to the frame. Steering box included. The shift levers are interesting, as they're mounted on the body, but have linkages to the tranny. The gear shift is cut off short, with the shift linkage attached so tranny and linkage sits under a hump in the floor directly behind the engine cover.
The engine compartment is 36" from the tranny face to front motor mount crossmember. and has about 14" more for radiator/fan. It's 24" wide from front to back, and about 40" vertically. There is no firewall in the bus. The drivers feet are against the front skin.

If they ever had a head-on, and the driver survived, he could give an accurate account, as he'd be the first one there.

I hope the pics show what a long road is ahead and some of the construction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorhome 003.JPG (632.4 KB, Multiple views, 30 clicks)
File Type: jpg Motorhome 009.JPG (636.0 KB, Multiple views, 29 clicks)
File Type: jpg Motorhome 010.JPG (566.4 KB, Multiple views, 28 clicks)
File Type: jpg Motorhome 014.JPG (812.2 KB, Multiple views, 27 clicks)
File Type: jpg Motorhome 017.JPG (824.4 KB, Multiple views, 26 clicks)

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.