View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:07 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with clutch disengaging

I have a '62 3/4 ton with a 305D and SM420. The guy I bought it from said the orig clutch fell apart so he replaced the pressure plate and clutch disk. He also said he flipped the starter ring gear over because it was grinding. I don't think he ever fixed or replaced the starter, because when I bought the truck the starter was grinding again.

I put up with it for several years... A year or two ago I replaced all the brake and clutch hydraulic components, except for the clutch line because I couldn't find a replacement. I noticed there was no slack in the clutch petal or clutch fork, so I added the recommended slack. As a result, the clutch would not disengage. So I took all the slack back out and the clutch would disengage, but barley.

Over the winter, I decided to install a new ring gear. Pressure plate and clutch disk looked good, but I wasn't sure about the pilot and release bearings, so I took them into NAPA and bought new. I compared/measured old with new and they matched. While I was at it, I had a new clutch line made to replace the original. After putting all back together, I couldn't get the clutch to disengage, even after taking all the slack out. I bled the line multiple ways, replaced master and slave cylinders, reinstalled the original line, bled the line multiple ways again and again with no luck.

Fed up, took the truck to the dealer, they quickly told me I had good travel, but I had the wrong release bearing. They said there is a short and long, I had the short and I needed the long. Fed up, I let them do the work. I picked it up the next day and it was driving fine.

Approx 100 miles later on my way home I'm not able to shift; clutch is not disengaging again... I have to stop the engine, shift into gear, restart, drive, repeat... I rolled under the truck tonight, hoping to find slack in the clutch fork, readjust and be back on the road. I noticed the adjustment nut was approx in the middle of the adjustment rod (with the longer release bearing vs. towards the end with the short release bearing), but after I released the clutch fork spring I found there was no slack. I readjusted it several times (both directions), bled the system several times and no luck!

Any suggestions??? I'll be calling the shop tomorrow, but I'd like to pass on any suggestions the group may have to minimize the drama.

Thank you in advance.

David