View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Truck: 68 2500
Troyport is on a distinguished road
Default Re: V6 water pumps getting hard to find

Thanks for the reply. I found out yesterday, after much research and phone calls that there are actually 3 different water pumps. keep in mind that my truck is a '68 with the 351... But, there is the big one that is mounted higher, with the tapered keyed shaft, used on air brake trucks. On the light duty trucks, like my pickup, there are 2 different pumps. The light duty has a small snout bearing, used on manual power steering trucks. The easiest way to tell this pump is the gussets that support the snout are short. Then there is a heavier duty pump that has a bigger snout bearing. This has longer gussets. My truck has factory power steering, so the heavier pump. I suppose the lighter pump would be fine since I am not using this truck very hard, and I also suppose I could have lowered the power steering pump enough to just drive it off the crankshaft. Please keep in mind that I am just getting into these trucks, so I may not be correct? I would be interested in what others may think. And also I don't know what may have changed from the 60-66's to my generation of truck. - Mike.