Thread: GMCDAC's GMCs
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:15 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMCDAC's GMCs

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pix of your '55, Doug. It's always nice to have a truck that runs and stops well, but you don't have to worry about it getting scratched while using it as a truck to haul stuff. That's the same way I look at my 2WD '67.

As promised awhile back, here are photos of the '72 K5 Jimmy I bought in 1975 after my "pride and joy" '72 4WD short-wide pickup was stolen. The Jimmy had the 350 V8, 4 speed, and A/C. We used it to do a lot of camping and four-wheeling in the hills of southern Missouri, and then the mountains of eastern Idaho after we moved there.

I often wish I had kept the Jimmy, but as the old saying goes "You can't keep 'em all", or at least I couldn't afford to.
You're welcome, Ed, and thank-you for the Jimmy pics! I have lots of pics of the '55 since we have had digital cameras during that time! Yeah it's just a work truck but there ain't many folks that drive something like that regularly around here. I get asked a lot if it has power steering. Well no don't need it, I respond. 4 years ago I had a pretty bad illness, lost a lot of muscle and 60 pounds. I made myself finish getting it ready to drive and the title FINALLY got here. I used that truck for exercise for my arms, shoulders and leg strength and I really do believe that it helped!

Anyway, I love those pics of your Jimmy and it makes me miss driving mine so bad! It is good incentive to get more done on it. Yours was the "Custom" version (CST) too and would be quite sought after nowadays with the optional tow hooks, A/C and the 4 speed as well as the single-wall top. Most folks that like the K5's don't even realize that the Jimmy is much less common than the Blazer also.

Here's a few more pics of the '55 once I got it home a month or so after the previous pics. I left it at work to get it running as we have a hoist there and I could get to the brake system better. A co-worker had a radiator from a '54 Chevy that I put in it and the BIGGEST deal I lucked out on was the gas tank was still rust-free even after sitting for at least 12 years. It had not run since 1997 according to the plates and the damage to the old rad. and underside of the truck looked very old. I beat the exhaust back close to where it belonged and did some temporary welding to the manifold to get it home.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 GMC 8-9-11 002.jpg (100.6 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0221.jpg (308.4 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0222.jpg (341.9 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0225.jpg (575.0 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 gas tank mount repair 002.jpg (255.5 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 gas tank mount repair 006.jpg (499.5 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 title 005.jpg (933.2 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1955 GMC 002.jpg (435.8 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Drive day 006.jpg (594.7 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 engine pressure washed 002.jpg (1.04 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday