View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:13 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: '66 1500 slipping out of second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyq View Post
Hi, sorry for any confusion, it is indeed a 4 sp out of the floor. I will have the exact nomenclature off the trans tomorrow. I may just be suffering from cranial rectimitus, but it seems there shouldn't be that much difference between a 3 and 4 sp as there is only one more gear added, however, as I stated earlier, I haven't had the pleasure of rebuilding a transmission yet. And not really lookin forward to it either. Thank you for your time and advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Greetings Dave!

There is a big difference between the 3 and 4 speed transmissions. For the 3 speed, the transmission can be removed from the truck from underneath the truck without disturbing anything in the cab. Removal of the 4 speed will require the removal of the floor tunnel from the inside of the cab, as well as either removing the shift lever, or the entire top cover/shift fork assembly so that the transmission can be removed from underneath the truck using a transmission jack. The 4 speed is much bulkier and heavier than the 3 speed which can be removed with or without a transmission jack. I have personally removed the SM318 3 speed laying on my back underneath the vehicle more than once. I had a 1963 Chevy Biscayne (car) with the SM318 that jumped out of 3rd (high) gear, so I know that tranny can be removed and reinstalled without using a transmission jack. The SM420 truck 4 speed is an entirely different animal, and will require the use of a transmission jack, unless you are built like Hulk Hogan.