View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:58 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Known, good part numbers for clutch rebuild kits for the 1500 series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
After my rebuilt 11" clutch disk failed me after 75 miles, I switched to the 12" kit and it's been working fine.
I'd like to clarify my earlier comment... The brake/clutch shop I have used for years, was able to get 11" disks to rebuild my existing one, but the new disks had predrilled rivet holes that did not align with the existing holes within the metal portion. Therefore, they "bonded" the new disks on. I questioned them twice and they reassured me it was fine; they do it on the big trucks all the time. Well, the bond only lasted about 75 miles, then spun off, and I wasn't hot rodding it either.

Anyway, there is a thread on here somewhere with all my drama. That's when I found out about the 12" clutch kit. The entire kit was a little over $200 and bolted right up onto the existing flywheel.

I was glad I did that, because my existing pressure plate was weaker than the new 12". Or, at least I was able to adjust more slack in the linkages per the manual.

Good luck,

Clarke