View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2021, 02:24 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Small update. Brakes are still locked up because I've been busy with other vehicles. You can see those in the other build thread. That thread is not yet up to date though...because I've been busy.

Today though, I decided to retackle my leaky radiator. Original solder joint did not hold so I tried again. After 4 failed attempts, I finally got it sealed up. I've never done any plumbing soldering, only electrical soldering. It seems that the trick with plumbing solder is to clean everything with muriatic acid, heat the area, clean it more, then add flux, heat, flux, heat, flux, heat, solder. Follow those steps and you should get a clean solder joint. I'm not too happy with how globby it looks, but it seals and is adhered to the radiator, and that's what counts. I might cover it with some JB weld and then sand it smooth. Kinda like bondo.

I should have some spare time this weekend to get the timing sorted on my engine. Needed the radiator sealed so it didn't spray hot coolant on me while I was working. The timing seems way off. Hard start when it's cold, runs okay hot but it seems like it's running rich.

Also I noticed that all of the fittings on my 1/4" brake line are weeping brake fluid. Not leaking, just weeping. The master cylinder is not missing any noticeable amount of fluid, but all of the fittings are wet and some of them formed droplets. I probably need to go through and loosen each fitting then tighten it back down again. Repeat 4 or 5 times to form the flare to the flare nut. All of my 3/16" flares are fine, so I'm guessing it's just an issue of the flares not being formed properly. Again, it's not a bad leak. The reservoir is still full and no drops have hit the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210329_170345[1].jpg (2.67 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)