View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:38 AM

Truck: 1963 gmc c1500
Noahr63 is on a distinguished road
Default Kids and carbs. Education needed.

The young ones like myself have little to no experiance with carbs. I have peraonally only delt with small engine carburaters myself not always succesfully.

I have a 63 gmc 1500 with a 305 and the 4 speed. Im assuming its the stromberg 2bbl carb. On two seperate occations the truck has left me frusterated and on the side of the road. She seemed to run good...although without any choke there has always been a strong hesitation upon takeoff since i have owned her. She seems to die out and then revs.Previous owner claimed to have rebuilt the carb. Both times she would sputter as if choking out and then die. Nothing seemed to work for a restart. I poured gas in the carb and she would run off of it and then die before i could add more. On a side note gas seemed to leak out of the side where the throttle cable connects when i added gas .to much?after about 45 minuted i was able to get enough gas in and she ran under ger own fuel. Is this a carb issue or maybe the fuel pump. Im no mechanic but i am eager to learn . As she means so much to me id like to be able to claim that i have done all repairs myself if possible.

On a side note she is currently running an oil bath breather on the carb. Im sure this is stock. Id like to run a paper element however i do not know where to get one that would fit. I took part or the cleaner in to see if anything from a parts store would fit however almost everything was way to big to fit the carb. Any ideas?