View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC photos from history

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
This old 1950 Jimmy hauled a lot of rock up in Sitka AK. in the early 70's. here is a before and after shot of my grandfather Gordon Berglunds operation.
Wow! great pic! I recognise a 1960 Ford station wagon in the before pic---I think. What a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoterun View Post
What an improvement.
What kind of operation was it? I'm guessing a lumber mill of some kind, maybe?

The old Jimmy could probably tell some stories about the good drivers, as well as the bad ones, and some of the wild weather it busted thru.

It reminded me of the song by Red Simpson that tells the story from the truck's point of view. I think it's called "Hello, I'm a truck"

Thanks for posting, Barry

Found it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeae1KQSac
Yeah wouldn't it be wonderful if those trucks could tell you even a little bit about what they've been through---Like the Red Simpson song! That was a great trip back too! Thanks for reminding me about that tune.

Quote:
Started as a little saw mill. But Grandpa and my great aunt Dorothy Darrin built it into a barge terminal. Its still there. its just north of Sitka. The two of them also had a quarry and crusher near by. So when grandpa had some spare time he filled in the area where the dock is. That old jimmy started hauling logs up north of there in about 62. 10 foot bunks 40 long. He then put a box on it and some bigger rears. It hauled rock until about 95 0r so. When he retired and moved back to Abberdeen Wa. in the 80's he brought it back with him. Near Aberdeen he used it on 80 acres of industrial land that he raised up about 8 feet, hauling fill from some land of his across the road. When he died in 07 the old 500 cube gasser still ran but a life on the washington and alaska coast had ate up most of the truck. Barry
If it was still runnin' there's still hope to do something with it! Would love to see pics throughout it's lifespan.

Quote:
I have some more old truck pics from my family history that i need to dig up Here is my great grandfather Jacks 1927 white truck pictured in 1940 . He bought a section of Idaho white pine land near Elk city Idaho, and hauled his whole mill up there and cut pine for Diamond match Co. My surviving grandfather hauled over 1 million board feet of lumber to a rail spur about 15 miles from camp in the summer of 40 with that truck. He did this when he was 14. We still have this truck and it runs well. Hand crank start on that old guy. I am getting ready to rebuild the cab... Some day... sorry its not a jimmy, but I think it's cool. Barry
No apology need for me, great truck and story. Would like to see more pics from this trucks history to now also!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday