View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:30 PM

Truck: 67 C20 Chevy
farmdreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 478 Diesel vs Gas?

Sorry for the delay guys. I appreciate all the responses!

Bigblockv6, is yours the blue 68 I’ve seen on youtube with the 478 in it? The high speed run makes it sound almost Detroit diesely. That’s a nice truck!
I don’t know what year these engines are. I assumed the intake setup would be different on the unis. The uni is meant to run at a constant high speed. I am sure they tuned the engine to run there for economy and power, and wouldn’t need the range of speed or power like a truck would. It would definitely be another expense to using the gas engine vs the diesel.

I have read about over speed problem on the diesel (which the uni wouldn’t have had). I also heard there were injection pump problems, but it looks like it’s an odd ball version P pump, so hopefully that isn’t a huge deal. I also read about head gaskets, but somewhere I saw that if you kept checking torque on them, they were likely fine. Although, massey 478, I like your solution! If I do end up going with the diesel, I’d love to talk with you about having a set cut for mine as well.

massey478, did they use the 478 in Massey tractors, or is that your own creation? I also hobby farm on the side and thought whatever didn’t go in the truck might be fun to put into a tractor. My other thought was if I found someone who wanted one or the other, that would make my decision easier as well.

Thanks again!