Thread: V 12 bone yard
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:54 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: V 12 bone yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
The ones without heads should be complete junk, which means the piston size isn't important. Those pistons are, or should be, rusted to the block. Getting them out will be "fun".

I'm actually surprised you could get any of them to turn over. Without some protection, every one of them should have at least two cylinders with pistons rusted into them. I have several 305s under cover, and have most of them stuck now (turned when stored). Motors which ran when pulled.
Greetings David!

You bring up a very valid point here, and that is even if any given engine is under cover, they can still "seize up" over time, mostly due to temperature/weather changes and condensation collecting on, and in the engine. Despite those engines being in a dry climate, being exposed to outdoor weather conditions certainly did not do them any good. In viewing those pictures, I did notice that the engines without heads had rust in the cylinders, and it has been my experience that cylinders with that amount of rust that the engine is already seized and will not turn over, and upon disassembly (which is the "fun" part that you eluded to,) the rust in the cylinders cannot be "cleaned up" by simply honing them, they have to be rebored. Still, I applaud bobdylans effort to save these engines from being scrapped and trying to salvage them.