View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:08 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlsonsGaskets View Post
George and James,
Thank you for your responses. Yes I am from the Olson's Gaskets company. I am trying to reproduce rubber rear main seals for this family of engines. In order to do so I actually need 2 rear main bearing caps to move ahead with this project, of which I am happy to purchase. One of these rear main caps will be destroyed (cut in two pieces) by my manufacturer in the process of reverse engineering this seal. The other cap will serve a an unmolested sample.
I am nervous to borrow a cap from someone who needs it in case something gets misplaced in the process.
Finding these in junk blocks would be ideal so that they are not coming from someone who needs it to make a functioning engine.
I am not limited to caps from 305 engines of course they are just the most common, but 351, 379, 401, 432, or 478ci rear main caps would work as well. A V8 637ci rear main cap could also be used.
I think getting a rubber rear main seal reproduced would rear help out folks rebuilding these engines.
Richard
That would be great! I wonder why the manufacturer has to cut one into 2 pieces? That poses the biggest problem it seems. Unless someone has a junk block of course.