View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:56 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 637 V8 gas engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
The Crankshaft can't be that weak, lol.

The '71 9500 I used to drive had a 637 V-8 Gas with a 10-Speed Road Ranger behind it. I was the 2nd driver of the truck. The first driver was old school 5-Speed, 2-Speed and never learned to shift the RR properly. He did fine Up-Shifting, but never learned and probably never even wanted to learn how to Downshift a Non-Synchro Trans. I rode with him a few times and could not believe how he would lug the heck out of it, which we all know wreaks havoc on a Crankshaft. I would always joke saying that the Crankshaft is going to end up on the front seat someday.

Anyway, I left the company after about 3 years. Then one day saw the truck when it was about 15 years old, for sale as is by another owner. And guess where the Crankshaft was?

We would haul some heavy loads with it. Probably up to 48 or 50,000 on a 46,000 GVW truck. It's amazing how long that Crank actually lasted.
Very true, very true. However, I was speaking from a repair standpoint, not a longevity standpoint. Dad's shop replaced a number of crankshafts in the Toro-flows while a GMC dealer for Georgia Highway express. They would not had to have been replaced if they had been Tocco-hardened. I have seen only 1 637, and it was in a steel tilt cab. The other 637 I only know from speaking to the owner at the time. When I look at the repairability of an engine, I look for things such as the design flaws, like the type of hardening on these shafts. I can't for my life understand why these crankshafts (gas & T-F 637 and T-F 478's) weren't tocco hardened.

Last edited by LEWISMATKIN; September 13th, 2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: misspelling