View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Looks like your on the right track Pepsi the plug at the lower level is the drain. When empty replace the drain plug leave the top plug out then fill with gear oil till it runs out then replace the plug. Most all trucks and pickups are the same in the way of checking the level of rear,trans or trans-case. In finding what is making the noise take off the drive shaft. Run the engine with the transmission in gear and that being a 4 wheel take the front shaft off also. that should tell you where the noise is coming from. It is possible it could be a U joint but I don't think so. The process of elimination as simple as it gets. Hey that Red Line gear oil is good stuff the fleet I drove for used it in all there trucks. Good luck on the problem..Vernski

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Thanks Vernski. Do you mean the transmission plugs are labeled right? The transfer case has two "upper" plugs, one way higher than the other. Not sure which one it should be.

Common sense says more oil is good so Im thinking its the top one way up by the bottom of the cab but it could be splash lubed I guess? 4wd isnt really documented much that I can see anyway. At least not till this build is complete haha!

Quote:
On the transfer case I would recommend just draining out your old gear lube and then adding the amount that your specs say and do it slow with those upper plugs out. If you have a lot left when you get to the first plug, plug it and keep addin' the gear lube. The tranny is simple enough but It wouldn't hurt to drain it and refill too If you haven't. You couldn't have gotten any water in them while pressure washing. Even if you did a change of lube would be needed.

I don't think those would squeal like you describe though, it kinda sounds like a throwout bearing might be trying to seize up. That could damage the pressure plate and clutch fork quickly. Another possibility is the pilot bearing, which has to spin when the clutch is pushed in and in either case the tranny has to come out. That one can hurt the input shaft on the tranny. Hope it is an easy fix for you.

Later---DAC
I was planning on doing the fluid chances as I moved up the drive train bit by bit. I wanted to pull them out and re-do all of their seals. My oil pan leaks almost as bad as the rear end. This might force my hand on the trans though.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Which part is the throwout bearing? I took pics here for raycow and I saw a fork and a spinny metal sleeve. Everything else is covered by a big metal (cast iron?) circular thing. Do I need to try to take that off too?

Thanks for the help guys. Any newbies reading this pay attention! Best club ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.