View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:34 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

The throwout bearing is the part the fork is holding on to and the collar is that sleeve bolted to the transmission that the throwout bearing is sliding on. Besides the oil leak everything looks pretty good and your pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel have no oil on them so that is good! Does the oily stuff smell like gear lube? The part of the throwout bearing you can see won't spin unless the bearing is seized up in any position. The bearing part of it you cant see here pushes the pressure plate arms to disengage the clutch when you push the pedal.

That spring looks like a clutch return spring. Your clutch pedal should return clear up including a little pedal free play. If there is no free play the pedal is riding lightly on the throwout bearing causing it to spin all the time, and it should only spin when the pedal starts getting pressed past the freeplay. Usually the spring attaches to the fork outside the bell housing and then will hook to the frame somewhere.

Hopefully one of the V-6 gurus will post a pic of the clutch return spring position for you. I can only show you one on an I-6.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday

Last edited by GMCDAC; August 31st, 2013 at 12:44 AM.