View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Truck: 1963 1500 Long Bed Fleet
PLYONS11 is on a distinguished road
Default '63 front end swap and drop

More guidance is needed! In the middle of my 3/4t to 1/2t conversion on my 63 1500. The rear end is done except for decisions on disk brakes and a parking brake. (Currently a trans mounted brake)

I am however struggling with the front end swap. I have read tons of material and just cant decide what to trust and/or what direction to go. I am looking for the easiest way to convert to 1/2t and 5lug disk. My wants are the ability to bag it some day and the ability to use tubular control arms with polly bushings and a sway bar. My needs are lowering it 3-4" and disk brakes.

I understand that CPP and ECE make drop spindles for the 3/4t that retain the same ball joints and end links, but then I am limited on options. Furthermore I already need to replace the ball joints, links, and cross shaft bushings. As far as I can tell from my research there is no a arms that are tubular that will work with the 3/4t. CPP did however say that they sell saddles that bolt to the 3/4t x-member that will allow for the u bolt style 1/2t a arms. Can anyone validate this? Seems to me that if this were possible I would have read it on one of these forums already.

I have found a few 80-87 total front ends at a local junk yard for $350 and I am fully equipped and capable of doing this swap, but I hesitate to go this route because I want to retain the factory 305 V6 and I cant find anyone who can confirm that the 305 will mount to the later x-member without fabrication.