View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: '63 front end swap and drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYONS11 View Post
More guidance is needed! In the middle of my 3/4t to 1/2t conversion on my 63 1500. The rear end is done except for decisions on disk brakes and a parking brake. (Currently a trans mounted brake)

I am however struggling with the front end swap. I have read tons of material and just cant decide what to trust and/or what direction to go. I am looking for the easiest way to convert to 1/2t and 5lug disk. My wants are the ability to bag it some day and the ability to use tubular control arms with polly bushings and a sway bar. My needs are lowering it 3-4" and disk brakes.

I understand that CPP and ECE make drop spindles for the 3/4t that retain the same ball joints and end links, but then I am limited on options. Furthermore I already need to replace the ball joints, links, and cross shaft bushings. As far as I can tell from my research there is no a arms that are tubular that will work with the 3/4t. CPP did however say that they sell saddles that bolt to the 3/4t x-member that will allow for the u bolt style 1/2t a arms. Can anyone validate this? Seems to me that if this were possible I would have read it on one of these forums already.

I have found a few 80-87 total front ends at a local junk yard for $350 and I am fully equipped and capable of doing this swap, but I hesitate to go this route because I want to retain the factory 305 V6 and I cant find anyone who can confirm that the 305 will mount to the later x-member without fabrication.

Problem is you're getting into territory that alot of us don't drive down. Some guys mod them up and change everything, others prefer to keep the stock look and feel. Most of the members here are the second group, but I like to see both, but really prefer chevys for mods. Parts are easier to come by and there aren't many GMCs left.

If you figure it out though start a build thread and let us see what you do. A little modernization can be a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.