Thread: Cab alterations
View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Cab alterations

Hello Members,
Happy Holidays...I have a '64 GMC 1000, SWB, 250 I-6, SM-420. It's been awhile since I have posted here. My truck sits and I want to drive it, as I am a Big and Tall man, it's uncomfortable as I am 6'6". My grandfather bought this truck when I was born, so there's history, lots of love, learning to drive in this truck, memories, etc.
I have had members state previously to keep the truck original, but I can't seem to part with this truck. I have my dreams of owning a muscle car too someday but I want to finish the restoration and retirement of this truck and enjoy the popularity of it being a classic.

Is there any schematics, layout or design here? I have the small window version on this truck?

With the picture of how the cab of this truck was built, as I've been thinking of the portion of the cab, that comes down from the base of the window, where it slopes or curves forward, where the top of the backrest of the bench seat would hit. Due to the slant of the seat tank, this area protrudes over the top of the seat tank a good 3-4" outwards towards the seat. I have a new rear fuel tank (Tanks Inc.) to install where the spare tire would go. I will remove the seat tank, plug the fill hole as usual.

My alteration, if safe, would be to cut, shave and somehow trim this edge of this metal from side to side, allowing the side pillars of the seat and back rest to move backwards, giving me more room. By cutting this portion out though, I don't want to cause any deformity or strength loss of the upper rear cab portion...although these trucks were built thick and strong.

In removing the seat tank, the seat could be moved back another 4-6" with new positioning of the bench brackets. With this portion of the metal gone above, it would also allow some reclining to the back rest of the seat.
I had a '99 GMC Yukon as my daily driver and found that 60/40 split bench to be one of the most comfortable seats ever and may find one to put into the '64.

Any help, comments or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, ItalOso