View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2017, 03:40 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Question dash lights come on when I depress brake/no brake lights

Thanks for reading about my issue. This question pertains to my 1966 GMC short bed. Hope you can help. I took my truck out of storage this week and discovered a new issue. I'll try to be brief. First, I've read a lot of forum material and came up with some good tips. That being said, I was wondering if anyone has had my specific prob? All suggestions welcomed.

PROBLEM: I don't have tail lights or brake lights. However, when I depress brake pedal (engine running and off) the dash lights go on. Still not brake lights.

WHAT I'VE DONE: 1.) I wiggled a few connectors under dash. No change.
2.) I followed a wire from rear driver side to its plug on the upper right side of fuse panel. I pulled the plug and wired off both socket and plug. Fuse looked ok.

3.) I removed the two screws holding the fuse panel to the fire wall. I wire cleaned screws and thread openings and reinstalled fuse panel.

4.) Fixed. I depressed brake pedal and no more dash lights and tail lights worked.

BAD NEWS: I went out today to check the repair. Well, as you might guess, the problem is back. It's like the power to the brake like switch flows directly to dash lights. So, now I'm coming to you.

PAST: I've owned the truck 3 years. It has a few gremlins to say the least. The first year I owned it, the right tail light did not work coming out of storage. I cleaned up connections including the mount to fender, and, light worked. Thought this was worth mentioning as it was a grounding fix.
A couple of times I've heard the horn honk while turning right. Yikes -- but certainly not a regular occurance.

POPS