View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: V6 GMC Balancing

Thank you for the excellent parts interchange information. These are details I as a mechanic who worked on these motors in a truck shop from 1966 to 1972 then to the present on my own equipment and trucks did not have because all parts for the engine being worked on were kept together so no mix and match was necessary. As a point of interest, the county highway had a truck that had the V-12 in it. It had so much power they would get to plowing snow at 30+ MPH. One time on a gravel road the plow dug in, the truck vaulted over it, breaking the crankshaft.
I replied here because It seems out of place to me with all of my past experience with these motors and most all others in that time frame that now it seems everyone wants to pin a liter designation on motors that never had it in their time period. Liters mean almost nothing to me with that experience and the designation is not precise enough to separate some close cubic inch displacement motors of that time period. It is good though as was done here that if one wants to assign a liter number to a motor that also designated is the cubic inch displacement. Thanks for that!
As a side note I have collected many of these motors including V-12. I have 30+ of them here of all displacements. I also converted a Payloader to 305 power and a Massey Ferguson 1100 to a 478. I used them on this kind of equipment because of their low end torque. I find that using MSD 6 or 6AL boxes on them is a big advantage. Keep up the good work all!