View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2019, 01:09 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Got the truck purring like a kitten, love the sound of those solid lifters. Valve adjustment was way out, loose on some tight on others, fluids changed: oil, new mineral oil in the trans and hypoid gear oil in the rear. Radiator mounts changed, coolant flushed. Before I put it on the road, I have to get a look see on the brakes and find the leak in the master cylinder. Then have a rebuilt kit coming for the power steering control valve, it is leaking badly, might stick a little brake fluid in the ps resevoir to swell the seals and see if that helps. Found an oil bath air cleaner from a member here, thank you sir. Also, after the valve adjustment I ran a compression test, most had 115 psi, two with 100. Thinking it could use the valves ground and some new guides. BTW, it took almost 7 gallons to fill the cooling system, 3 gallons of concentrate anti freeze. Good god, these engines could of never over heated. What a monster. Welded up the oil pan pin hole.This truck has needed tlc for awhile, now it is going to get a full cab off, after I get to see what all it will need. Probably start in the spring.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2073.JPG (3.67 MB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 6th, 2019 at 01:15 AM.