View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

The bed wood is finished!
Having built the bed on the back of the truck, it made getting to some fasteners a little more difficult. For example the fasteners underneath the 3rd (wide) crossmember are blocked off by a chassis crossmember. To remedy this, I lifted up the bed using axle stands. This worked out fine and allowed me to fasten the bolts.

I'm glad that it is finished, and definitely worth the results.

Now onto the propane conversion..

But first I'll have to replace a leaking axle seal in the Dana 60. I reused the original seals, and one started leaking, unfortunately.

Also, the engine consumes some oil. Unfortunately, it started to get worse yesterday. Constant blue haze at idle from one cylinder bank... I believe it comes from the cylinder heads. That guy that I bought the transmission from has a good set of 305 heads. I hope to install these for the time being, and in the meanwhile, I can rebuild my own cylinder heads.

Bronze valve guides, hardened seats, positive valve seals, and some decking to increase the compression ratio is the plan, possibly with some light porting work to clean up the casting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220607_164648.jpg (3.67 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220607_155329.jpg (3.99 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220607_155320.jpg (3.23 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)