View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
If the original seals was made of leather, as oppose to neoprene, and hard they can be softened up using saddle soap. If there a groove in the spindle it can be filled with Devcon Titanium epoxy and sanded smooth. This is what I had done to mine.

Here is a couple of location and not the only ones.

Saddle Soap:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Epoxy:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Thanks for the reply James. The seals that were installed on mine were made of rubber, with a steel housing. There used to be a pretty severe groove on both spindles, but I repaired those with SKF Speedi Sleeves, as described in a previous post.

By the way, here is something for people that are wanting to build up a bed:
The 1/4'' bolts are secured in the cross sills with a washer, then a lock washer and a nut. When working from underneath it is a severe pain to fumble around with the two washers are also having to install a nut while keeping the bolt from coming out of the hole.

I made an adapter for the 7/16" socket that holds the lock washer and washer in place. Makes installing these much easier! See pictures.

Also, to keep the bolts from coming out of the bed strips when installing the nuts I used two cutoff pieces from the board to support the strip on one side. I can then reach around and support the bolt from underneath. See picture.
Of course this does not work for the last board, so you need a helper for the last one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220607_165013.jpg (3.84 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220607_165036.jpg (3.25 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220606_182206.jpg (3.63 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)