View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2019, 01:47 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE7X View Post
Tank senders that have sat unused for a long time, can sometimes develop an open circuit. I saw one case many years ago, where a sender was 'dead' between about 1/4 and 1/2 tank. The gauge would work normally down to about a half tank, then suddenly go to 'E' for a while, then return to reading correctly for the last 1/4 tank.
It was a bit disconcerting when you suddenly saw it registering empty; and had to mentally stop and think if it was a true reading or just the dead spot.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
1970 RM-7500
I had something similar on an F-150 with dual tanks. Except it went from a quarter tank to empty. I always used that tank first, ran till the engine sputtered and switched to the full tank. Never did try to fix it. Did the same think on my diesel pickup too a couple times, would slow from 65-70 to 40-45 before it would get fuel again. But it was so consistent on mpg I could predict the number of miles to put on each tank and have maybe a gallon or less fuel in the tank. Truck had a 20 gallon and 24 gallon tank, book said they were 16 and 19. Had 800 mile range from both tanks, 24x18.5= 814 miles. Ran truck 10,000 miles one summer and averaged just over 20 mpg.