View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rebuild engine vs. Replace?

I have just gone through the process of getting an old truck running that has sat for a long time, 6 years documented, maybe more before. Even though I am experienced as far as working on vehicles, been doing it since I had my first one in 1961, you can do what is necessary to get this truck on the road.
I would follow what Pepsi said about trying to see if it will fire using starting fluid. If it turns over, makes an attempt, pops, then you have a good idea that it will start provided you repair the areas that are bad.
Your fuel system will be completely blocked in many areas. if it had gas in the tank when it was parked, you may as well figure on replacing the gas tank, the float will look like an old barnacle, it too must be replaced. the line from the tank to the filter will be blocked, with varnish. The fuel filter will look like a molasses pot.
Parts are readily available, really not that expense considering how old this truck is.
Developing the skills to replace the items required just takes time, reading reference material like manuals and lots of patience. We are here to help you in gaining the confidence to tackle the project.