View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rear Main Seal Leaking

Prowbar,
I will share with you my experience in the last four rebuilds which I have done in the last two years. These engines were for a 1954 Chev 235, a 1956 Chev 235, a 1962 Chev 261 all inline stovebolt 6 cylinders, and the fourth is a GMC 305 V6 C engine.

The first engine I worked on was the 1956 engine that was originally assembled by me in 2015. This engine had the felpro rope seal, and it began leaking immediately after assembly. Now it didn't leak bad but it would have a teaspoon of oil on the floor after each drive cycle. This is when I contacted Olson Gasket which happens to be the next town down from me. They are known for putting together obsolete gaskets sets for antique cars and tractors, many which are remade by original stencils of original sets. Through speaks with them and many visits to their small factory, I was schooled up on the newer materials that big gaskets companies are using are not like the original asbestos type rope seals, but another material used that does not work near as well as far as sealing qualities. Like I said this engine originally had a felpro rope seal in it that was assembled by myself in 2015 and leaked badly immediately after startup - I resealed with a 2 piece lip style seal made by best gasket in 2020 and is completely drip free to this day and this engine now rests in a 1952 Chev five window truck that is owned by a good friend.
The second engine had a different rear main cap because it is a 1954 235 and only a rope seal will work on that. I assembled that engine with a special rope seal material provided by Olson gasket and threw the felpro one away. This engine was also assembled in 2020 and resides between the fenders of a 1946 Chev Fleetline, it too is leak free.
The third engine was the 261 and I used the Best gasket two piece lip seal and I have that in my 1953 Chev 5 window truck with many thousand miles on it and the garage floor is drip free.
The GMC V6 I'm in the process of assembling right now and have aquired the special rope seal from Olson gaskets and will be using it. My intention is to post up some pictures in the next week or so showing the difference on the felpro rope seal versus the olson rope seal. For others to see for themselves and also to document my build for this engine that is going into my 64 GMC 1/2 ton.

Thanks for your comment,

Steve

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump