View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:01 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Hood won’t stay up?

Two observations (hard to see, but):

1. Hook on end of spring at fender bracket looks stretched out of shape. Don't know how you installed but possibly deformed that end hook and there is not enough contraction of spring now.

2. Spring looks completely closed, expect to see some space between coils, confirming comment 1.

3. What is the glob on hinge near where spring attaches? I zoomed in on that area and see a reflection or some glob?

4. You painted the new hinges, correct? Is this pic with new hinge and new springs?

It seems now that it has to be the springs. So because they are cheap, get new ones. Install as follows:
Prop open hood just enough to perform procedure. Hook spring onto hinge. Attach a chain to other end of spring using a "quick link". Use a long enough chain to stand back a ways, wear safety head shield. Pull on chain by hand, or a lever bar, and hook spring on fender bracket. Unscrew quick link. Be sure quick link opening fits over spring wire diameter. If you have an angle grinder you can always cut off the quick link with a grinder...or skip the quick link and cut off one chain link when finished. You can use any method you wish to attach spring to chain provided it does not interfere with hook going into bracket and is removable.

I actually hooked the chain onto a truck in front of the GMC and stepped on the chain to stretch spring. Hands free method, probably easier and more controllable. I think that way I was able to guide/force/use pliers ...to get the hook into bracket. All kinds of ways to prestretch spring, not needed, too much fabing.....just use a chain and pull.

For reference, can you state the vendor and the part number of springs and hinges. Also; the method you used to install springs twice.

Last edited by AZKen; January 19th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.