View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Truck: 1965
RobertHaas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Salinas California

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but I think it would have been cooler with a 478 cid V-6 and a nice wide ratio manual 5-speed trans. The 478 was never used in the light duty trucks, just the heavier medium and heavy duty trucks, say 40,000-50,000# gross and up. They don't make the big HP numbers like your BBC because they don't rev, but they make effortless torque from just off idle to 3000 rpm. I guarentee it would put a smile on your face every run up thru the gears! The exhaust note sounds similar to the Rolls-Royse Merlin V-12 used in later model P-51 Mustang fighter planes, every time you parked it somebody would run over and want to see what was under the hood.

I spent a lot of time growing up riding Shotgun in Big V-6 powered livestock semi-trucks. The sounds of the BIG V-6's still brings a smile to my face. Dad even had a '66 Buick Skylark with 225 cid V-6 for a work car for many years I drove a lot. SkyLark was a heavy car, saddled with a power robbing PowerGlide trans and H78-14 snow tires year round it would run 70 in low and about 85 in Drive.

You did not burst my bubble, nor did you make me wish we went a different direction.

I lIke the sheet metal on these trucks. The style and design is very appealing to me. The love affair ends right there. The V6 is not on any lists of mine. Not as a desirable engine nor as a source of sound that pleases me.

You are able and willing to go that route, and I say more power to you. I would never impose my desires on to your build.

I am a hot rodder. I am 58 years old, have been building hot rods for 5 decades and will probably always do so.