View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2014, 06:00 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Patina Trucks" in the group

I do have a few stories Barry from the original owners 79 year old son. He told me all about what this truck was used for, and how it got to be in the shape it's in, but we'll save those for another time.

So here is what I found when I opened the hood. Pretty sad I'd say but not unexpected. I don't really plan to do too much mechanical upgrading to the motor and only want to use this truck for a "go to town truck" on Saturdays And thus I've been collecting original parts like that oil bath air cleaner from Doug.

So I climb underneath ol' Dudley (well, actually sorta slide underneath) with my oil drain pan and wrenches and filter taker offer and the first thing I do is grab the exhaust pipe just in front of the muffler to pull myself to where I need to be. Oh yea! kabonk....the pipe falls apart in my hands! Completely rusted through exhaust system. Hmmm, ok, I guess we'll deal with that problem a little later. Then my eyes shift up to the old canister oil filter and oil pan drain plug and I cringe as I see the bottom of the oil pan. Looks like the the P/O has probably driven this truck over a few LARGE rocks at one time or another. So as I lay there with exhaust pipe rust in my eyes I figured it was a pretty good assumption that the crunched bottom of the pan was pushing up or had really bunged the oil pump screen. So, off comes the oil pan which requires raising the motor. Now then, this simple oil/filter change has proved that murphys law is alive and well. So I decided it would only be proper and common sense to clean things up a bit under there and have a look at the bottom end. I pulled out and R & R'd the oil pump, acquired a decent used oil pan from a forum member in San Diego, and upgraded to a spin on oil filter which Barry supplied. I mentioned in another thread last spring that I did a diesel flush of the motor too. Whutz a diesel flush you ask?? After draining all the globbly goopy, black oil which came out of there like soft serve ice cream, I put the old pan back on, put eight quarts of diesel in the crank case, spark plugs removed, and slowly, SLOWLY pulled the truck around in high gear for about 100 yards with my work tractor. Then drained it out, removed the old POS oil pan and let ithe truck sit there for two weeks slowly doing the drip dry thing. So as I type, the bottom end of the lubricating system is back together, oil pump primed, pressure is up (again from slowly pulling the truck in gear) and Ol' Dudley is sitting in my tractor shed awaiting summer to be over so I will hopefully have time to get back on him and start on the next step in the "start up" process, that old, crud infested fuel system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eng8.JPG (1.12 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg 305e oil pans.JPG (965.4 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dudleys oil pump.JPG (937.6 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 134_3472.JPG (645.9 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)