Thread: New to Forum
View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Truck: 1964 Custom
Jeffrey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to Forum

Hi Ed, so I understand from previous owner that the engine did smoke and very had low power and leaking valve seats, maybe a sticking/broken valve, and engine is coated in thick oil sludge from leakage. The engine does rotate easily but was removed from truck before I purchased it, but is complete. I have viewed a great video series from vintageiron where he completely rebuilt a 305V6, he had all of the required parts for a complete rebuild, using NOS pistons.. I had checked with a few engine machine shops, actually two that have used are closed forever, the third one closing next week, they stated that there are no parts available.
So I would believe that it will require a complete top end, and perhaps pistons, but will know once I look closer at the engine. So, is there a thread that gives more detail about rebuilding and parts accessibility, as I have seen some that are years old, where the parts mentioned are not available at a retailer? Most pressing parts would be pistons, if I only was able to locate replacement a set for a 426, as they are the same bore but with one less ring grove, does anyone have experience with those?
Thanks, Jeff