6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical
#Sponsored

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old July 21st, 2024, 02:18 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the rough
Default Door Handle Templet guidance

Any of the member have a door handle templet and or can explain a simple way to use it in the correct manner, I used mine and drilled two small guide holes in my panel (the handle will cover those holes), but I can see where they will not line up with the base nuts. I had to measure these wrong. Any help appre. I've either cut the templet wrong or started with a bad measure and it went downhill from that point.

Last edited by jbgroby; July 21st, 2024 at 02:24 PM.
Old July 21st, 2024, 10:26 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Door Handle Templet guidance

If you wish to abandon the template:

Use a laser level to shine on the hole(s) with panel off. Don't move laser or door. Install panel and drill or mark on the laser X/Y center. A mechanical way would be to take door off, lay it flat and use a plumb bob like the laser method.

BUT, not sure exactly what you are doing. Did you make some custom door panels?... and need to make window crank and door handle holes.......or are you talking adding arm rests??????????????????

Last edited by AZKen; July 21st, 2024 at 11:20 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2024, 11:31 AM

jbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the rough

Az,

they are stock door panels, just need to get the holes lines up.
Old July 22nd, 2024, 06:12 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Stock door panels already have the holes in them. No drilling required. Still don't know what you are talking about. But as you know I have already asked what you are doing. Your communications are WAY TOO criptic for us to understand. BE SPECIFIC.
Click

There are three "door handles" a person may be talking about... inside, outside, arm rest. The words "door panel" means inner removeable door panel shown in my link here. Someone may mean "door skin" I don't know. Using these meanings, I do not see your trouble. Maybe someone else does.

Last edited by AZKen; July 23rd, 2024 at 04:13 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2024, 11:26 AM

AZ, the stock door panel I have for my 1960 does not have the holes factory drilled. They do have factory welded nuts as part of the main door assembly. I found the guide I used, but maybe the printed size was off. The templet does NOT give any measurements, if you place it wrong, it makes the holes that you drill in the wrong spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armrest templet.jpg (140.6 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old July 23rd, 2024, 07:20 PM

So finally without you ever saying it and me asking if you meant armrest, I now see you are talking about an armrest, NOT a door handle. I have given you the ideas using a laser level. Put the laser crosshairs on the center of one armrest nut, then put panel on and drill at crosshairs.

Measuring, using the template or making a template will also work. The home made template can use a few of the panel mounting screw holes as reference.

Jake, Do you see that on the template they show the door with the template on it. One side and bottom of template is held against the door panel recess lines with the template radius matching the panel recess radius... as a way of locating the template. See my pic here. (remarks in RED).
One hole is a longer distance from the edge of template than the other hole. This long dimension is always to rear of door. That's why you mirror image the template for the passenger side.
Be sure you are locating the template in the recess of the door panel. Not to edge of door panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armrest templet2.jpg (285.0 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg laser.jpg (1.85 MB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)

Last edited by AZKen; July 24th, 2024 at 12:55 AM.
Old August 4th, 2024, 08:41 PM

Thank You AZ, As Soon as I can I'll do my best to get them mounted.
Old August 4th, 2024, 08:43 PM

Thank you for the update. Let me know if I can help further.