6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical
#Sponsored

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old August 29th, 2024, 11:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Turn signal indicator light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
As an Aerospace Electro-Mechanical Design engineer, I try to fully understand what a problem is. Trying not rush to judgement too early or recommend the wrong solution. I think you see from a few other comments that your communication skills are lacking in explaining a problem to a group who can't see it, test or know what you are talking about. That's OK, it's also OK for me to try and understand a very mixed up non standard turn signal/DIY/multi repair/non cohesive fix you did. I see you started being sarcastic about answering questions. These answers are all we have. What is your purpose of wasting time being limited as to information/clarification? You can carry this anger around with you and end up be alone someday. I don't keep track of who is who on here, I just focus on helping someone fix an issue. I'm not your daddy, I'm not baby sitting you. You are rude and ill-mannered. Your opinion of my "language" is wrong, you are being sensitive to nothing but ego. Wanting help but hating to be helped.
You had the right guy, who cared, and now you don't. That makes us both happy.
Ken's tough to take sometimes, but engineers - Am I Right?

You just gotta accept that he's not the socially adept type. He does have books and books of good info in his head though.

You said you fixed it once. do you have any pictures of that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 29th, 2024, 11:40 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Fetch can you explain where I was tough to take in this thread. I would appreciate it.

Also is it true with YOUR questions that you don't understand the issue either? So I can tell if it's just me. Not looking to argue, just learn to see changes I need to make specifically on this thread. If you take sides on a thread like this with no basis except a past comment, a person never has the chance to change and not be "hard to take". IT IS WHAT IS CALLED A WITCH HUNT. Nothing I've said in the main thread has any "socially unacceptable" nature.

The defense to a nasty "thank you" from poster is a defense to a nasty comment. You know that but your grudge of something prevents you from being honest....so you pile on.

I'm starting to wonder what statements like that do for your credability to criticize. Is there no one here that sees a unrelenting attack on everything I say? Picking every word and calling me a bad person? Adult males being hurt by cut-to-the-chase probem solving, diagnosis, troubleshooting...... without a latte first?

Last edited by AZKen; August 30th, 2024 at 12:28 AM.
Old August 30th, 2024, 01:18 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Fetch can you explain where I was tough to take in this thread. I would appreciate it.

Also is it true with YOUR questions that you don't understand the issue either? So I can tell if it's just me. Not looking to argue, just learn to see changes I need to make specifically on this thread. If you take sides on a thread like this with no basis except a past comment, a person never has the chance to change and not be "hard to take". IT IS WHAT IS CALLED A WITCH HUNT. Nothing I've said in the main thread has any "socially unacceptable" nature.

The defense to a nasty "thank you" from poster is a defense to a nasty comment. You know that but your grudge of something prevents you from being honest....so you pile on.

I'm starting to wonder what statements like that do for your credability to criticize. Is there no one here that sees a unrelenting attack on everything I say? Picking every word and calling me a bad person? Adult males being hurt by cut-to-the-chase probem solving, diagnosis, troubleshooting...... without a latte first?
No offense intended, Ken! You just come across a little....coarse. I will PM you my response because frankly it's nobody's business how your brain works. They can either like you or not. I happen to like you but I have zero problems swerving past the blunt delivery system and enjoying the data. My youngest one, the little blonde? She's the same way as you. She's got an engineer's brain. Building robots now, if you can believe it, and flies quadcopters she builds competitively.

Everything that girl says makes you feel like an idiot. She doesn't mean it that way, but her delivery is WAY off. Still love her to death, and quick as a whip I tell ya. Half the stuff she comes up with I would never imagine. She's got a whole book of invention ideas that would blow your mind, but I digress.

In all sincerity I'd really enjoy having a beer together and discussing the world's problems, the flight patterns of UAPs (mathematically), and whatever else comes up without a filter (maybe a whiskey haha). Engineers are fascinatingly intelligent. You guys just think differently and it causes the delivery to be offputting.
Anyway, PM incoming.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 30th, 2024, 01:57 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Better to explain what was off putting, tough to take and not Socially adept...in public, because they were said in public. No offense intended? really? Coarse? In this thread where you piled on me? Where? STOP the denial and PM's.... and explain what you see in the thread. This MUST STOP. I'm sick of it. Engineers have NOTHING to do with it. We are people. Members. Helpers. Good clear communicators. Interested in solving problems. Our methods may be foreign to you. Direct speaking avoids mistakes in communication. The poster was the off putting one and you know it.
I tried VERY hard to see what the issue was because I had some good ideas to fix whatevet it was. Yuo yourself are asking several times what it is?

I was trying to navigate: (quoting)

1. "A recent similar "fix" has proven transitory and resistant to further repair.
Maybe I could install a whole new light somewhere, but I would rather one of you has a magic approach I haven't thought of."

2. "The problem is the power feed through the printed circuit to the indicator light socket.
Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help."

3. "Thanks for trying, Ken, but as has become evident over the years, you and I do not seem to speak mutually intelligible languages."

4. No interest in answering determinative questions. After asking for help.

5. My comment: "Time to upgrade your DIY game." was obviously a reference to buy real turnsignal parts after noting years of good intention band aids and now frustration and a reach out for help with a situation he characterizes as "resistant to further repair.". Then comes out with "Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help." So I switched gears back to a "magic solution" study. This does not seem to be intelligible language to you or he. Then you both attack me. To continue some weird past feelings during a well meaning post. You have both been called out in PLAIN LANGUAGE.

Last edited by AZKen; August 30th, 2024 at 02:36 AM.
Old August 30th, 2024, 04:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Better to explain what was off putting, tough to take and not Socially adept...in public, because they were said in public. No offense intended? really? Coarse? In this thread where you piled on me? Where? STOP the denial and PM's.... and explain what you see in the thread. This MUST STOP. I'm sick of it. Engineers have NOTHING to do with it. We are people. Members. Helpers. Good clear communicators. Interested in solving problems. Our methods may be foreign to you. Direct speaking avoids mistakes in communication. The poster was the off putting one and you know it.
I tried VERY hard to see what the issue was because I had some good ideas to fix whatevet it was. Yuo yourself are asking several times what it is?

I was trying to navigate: (quoting)

1. "A recent similar "fix" has proven transitory and resistant to further repair.
Maybe I could install a whole new light somewhere, but I would rather one of you has a magic approach I haven't thought of."

2. "The problem is the power feed through the printed circuit to the indicator light socket.
Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help."

3. "Thanks for trying, Ken, but as has become evident over the years, you and I do not seem to speak mutually intelligible languages."

4. No interest in answering determinative questions. After asking for help.

5. My comment: "Time to upgrade your DIY game." was obviously a reference to buy real turnsignal parts after noting years of good intention band aids and now frustration and a reach out for help with a situation he characterizes as "resistant to further repair.". Then comes out with "Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help." So I switched gears back to a "magic solution" study. This does not seem to be intelligible language to you or he. Then you both attack me. To continue some weird past feelings during a well meaning post. You have both been called out in PLAIN LANGUAGE.
OK Ken.

Jim, do you have any pics of the previous repairs that didn't last?

Old August 30th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

Sorry, no pictures.
To state the problem more simply, without the full story that I thought might be of interest to others here:
Years ago, (maybe 25) my turn signal dashboard indicator light began to occasionally fail to come on when the turn signals were working. I discovered that reaching under the dashboard and gently manipulating the area (lower right), the light would start to work.
As soon as it did so, I stopped nudging things and it world continue to work properly for extended periods, years in some cases. Then another failure would be easily "fixed" by another massage.
When this technique no longer worked. I removed the dash board and found a small break in the printed circuit leading to the indicator socket. I taped a small copper wire bridge across the crack and had no further problems for another extended period, years again.
If this is boring to you, think how I felt about it.
Same process again, but with obvious aging problems with the circuits and mounting board. I thought we had it working (with solder this time) well enough to re-install it, but the result has been unsatisfactory, with only short periods of acceptable performance.
I hoped someone here would have another approach to try, so I posted.
It is not life threatening, simply inconvenient. I check the actual signals before every trip and have never found a fault.
I do not think there is anything new here from my first post.
So, pending another dashboard dive, what I will do is come up with a reminding device to deploy when I want to turn.
I regret the uproar.
Old August 30th, 2024, 07:31 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Sound like to me the pins on the flexible printed circuit board are loose and need to be solder back on. I've had this happen to my truck and believe it or not it happen on my 97 Chrysler minivan. After the repair everything works and the problem has not returned. The flexible printed circuit board will need to be completely removed to solder the pins on the back side.
Old August 30th, 2024, 10:24 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Sorry, no pictures.
To state the problem more simply, without the full story that I thought might be of interest to others here:
Years ago, (maybe 25) my turn signal dashboard indicator light began to occasionally fail to come on when the turn signals were working. I discovered that reaching under the dashboard and gently manipulating the area (lower right), the light would start to work.
As soon as it did so, I stopped nudging things and it world continue to work properly for extended periods, years in some cases. Then another failure would be easily "fixed" by another massage.
When this technique no longer worked. I removed the dash board and found a small break in the printed circuit leading to the indicator socket. I taped a small copper wire bridge across the crack and had no further problems for another extended period, years again.
If this is boring to you, think how I felt about it.
Same process again, but with obvious aging problems with the circuits and mounting board. I thought we had it working (with solder this time) well enough to re-install it, but the result has been unsatisfactory, with only short periods of acceptable performance.
I hoped someone here would have another approach to try, so I posted.
It is not life threatening, simply inconvenient. I check the actual signals before every trip and have never found a fault.
I do not think there is anything new here from my first post.
So, pending another dashboard dive, what I will do is come up with a reminding device to deploy when I want to turn.
I regret the uproar.
This is much more detailed and gives a better picture. As James said, it could be the plugs. They often get loose over time or corroded and broken. My own truck has a loose ground.
The other thing may be broken solder from heat/cold temp changes or a new crack. If you can just touch or slightly wiggle the plug, that's probably it. If it doesn't fix, it's probably your old repair or a new crack.