6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion
#Sponsored

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old October 13th, 2024, 06:33 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
PrepperGeek is on a distinguished road
Default New here, And would like to introduce myself

Hi, so Ive been hunting for a 60-63 gmc and Im just about to nab a 62 c4000 dump for $2k.(intro, u can skip to next paragraph if ur not interested in why) Ive done some research about this generation of truck because it seems very utilitarian and thats exactly what im looking for. I plan on using this truck to make some cash in the spring, and at worst ill be able to get more familiar with these trucks.

She runs, drives, and dumps, but needs a master cylinder before i think about taking her on the road. Plus i dont appear to have any lights besides my left headlight, and probably needs a carb rebuild.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Did i get a good deal? I plan on using her as a work truck till i can afford something i would let an employee drive.

What should i watch for? can i get away with just replacing the master cylinder? or should i replace everything?
IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0060.jpeg (6.35 MB, Multiple views, 22 clicks)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0072.jpeg (5.73 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0068.jpeg (4.93 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old October 14th, 2024, 02:18 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the roughjbgroby is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New here, And would like to introduce myself

Welcome, yes you seemed to have gotten a good deal. The headlight could be as simple as being burned out, use a multimeter to test the bulbs. The master cylinder is a good first step, but purge the brake lines as well, lord only know is the fluid (if any) is gummed up. MAKE DARN sure you have a proper rated jack, she much heavier than out standard trucks.

Seal the carb well (double bag and plastic wrap) give the engine a good spray down on degreaser and let soak for a few hours then use a pressure washer (hot water washer if you can find one), you'll find a jewel under the all the dirt and grease. THe spark plus they are on the intake side and deep-well design, so make very sure you blow ALL the water out.

Before trying to drive, change the engine oil, and filter if you have that option.

1 step at a time and you'll be rolling soon, congrats.

Jake Groby
Lacombe, LA.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbgroby For This Useful Post:
PrepperGeek (Yesterday)
Old October 14th, 2024, 07:07 PM

Ah Thank you, I really appreciate the input here, I plan on purging the brake lines, after I replace the master cylinder, but my luck with bleeders on old trucks has not been very kind, so I plan on soaking all of the fittings in pb blaster for some time.

For the oil change, I see this truck uses a cartridge/ canister type filter, and I cant seem to get any links to part numbers or in stock listings, Im going to my local Napa store today to see if they have it, but if that fails, where else? Also, what oil should I use? do i run it on the old sae stuff or should I put a more ‘modern’ 10w30 type oil?

I have a cheap harbor freight 12 ton bottle jack with me in my pickup, will that suffice for this truck? And I appear to have a broken stud on the front right wheel, where can i find a replacement hub or stud, and how important is it for driving the truck without a load? And I have no clue where to start if i need new soft lines or brake cylinders.

Again, I really appreciate being on a forum like this, especially for such an oddball truck from a time that has long since passed, And I am grateful for any future responses and advice.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Welcome PrepperGreek!

Nice truck you have there. Here is the link to oil filter numbers. It depends if you need the one- or two-quart canister.

https://6066gmcguy.com/partnumbers.html

I also noticed your master cylinder has an extra brake line added?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky61 For This Useful Post:
PrepperGeek (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Truck: gmc
gmcjuniorvan is on a distinguished road

Welcome PrepperGreek!

The first thing I would do, buy a 1962 maintenance manual. Not the supplement manual. https://classicparts.com/1962-shop-manual-gmc

On the inside of the glove box door is a Parts ID plate. This will list all the major components of the truck (axles, trans and so on).
The truck has Vacuum hydraulic brakes, that is what the extra port on the master cylinder is for.
As for the brake cylinders you will need to know what axles the truck has, front and rear from the ID plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChassisSerialNumberPlate.jpg (224.7 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (592.6 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

Last edited by gmcjuniorvan; Yesterday at 05:02 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmcjuniorvan For This Useful Post:
Funky61 (Yesterday), James (Yesterday), PrepperGeek (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Ah thank you for those links, Those will come in handy very soon, especially the maintenance manual. I will keep posted.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Dang that's a good deal! I'd snatch that up, fill the back with water, and haul kids around all day in the summer sun! Nice truck!

Headlights are dirt cheap. Just pick one up for maybe $12 and put it in. If you need to test the lights, just move the one that works over to each of the others and see if it comes on. If it does, wiring's fine!

Also I noticed your username, is this with thoughts of EMP in mind? That's one of the reasons I picked up Cecilia for originally. I want to be able to get work and light traveling done if things get hairy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Partially, but mostly because it was the cheapest running dump truck in my area that wasnt rotted out. I also love the utilitarian design of the gmc v6s, and of older more work centric trucks. I like the simplicity and durability that comes with it, as well as the low price compared to these almost useless modern pickups.

But yeah, I see the advantage of having this truck in a shtf situation.