6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 26th, 2014, 05:26 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I don't know the whole story on that......but I think the dog's name is "Grease Board".
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:02 AM

Truck: 1962 K10, 1965 C10, 1972 K25
JPBrecheisen is on a distinguished road

Fetch,

You need to get the 2 snap rings off before you need the socket for the spindle nuts.

Take a look at the yellow arrows on your pics. They are pointing to where the snap wrings are.

The larger diameter one is the outer one and can be removed with a flat blade screw driver.

The inner one (around the axle shaft stub) will need a set of snap wring pliers.

I hope this helps some.

Jonathon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fetch_HUB_1.jpg (71.4 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fetch_HUB_2.jpg (95.7 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:12 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Fetch,

You need to get the 2 snap rings off before you need the socket for the spindle nuts.

Take a look at the yellow arrows on your pics. They are pointing to where the snap wrings are.

The larger diameter one is the outer one and can be removed with a flat blade screw driver.

The inner one (around the axle shaft stub) will need a set of snap wring pliers.

I hope this helps some.

Jonathon
Thanks Jonathon! That did the trick. It was covered in rust and almost invisible. (yes, I feel pretty dumb right now) I got it off with a screwdriver but my hub is still stuck on. I tapped it with a hammer and it still didn't budge. Spanner wrench time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring2more.jpg (440.1 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg ringspring.jpg (369.5 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

The outside of the hub has splines. I am sure it's got some rust and old dry grease making it not want to slide out. I would spray your favorite penetrating oil in behind where the snap ring was and carefully try to pry it out. BTW I figured out how to add stuff to pics on the forum. I can take a screen shot of the pic and use note ology to draw on the pic and post the modified pic. Way cool. Next I just need to learn how to type with more than one finger. I just saw your PM. There are a couple of different transmissions used. It would be easier to use the whole trans assembly. Barry.
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jonathon! That did the trick. It was covered in rust and almost invisible. (yes, I feel pretty dumb right now) I got it off with a screwdriver but my hub is still stuck on. I tapped it with a hammer and it still didn't budge. Spanner wrench time?
Fetch,

Post a picture of the hub in its current state so I can know how to guide you best in the next step.

Jonathon
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It still looks like this but with the little snap ring removed. Nothing came apart after the snap ring came out, just a little dust. Should it have pulled off?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 5th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

If you look at jonothans pic with the little arrow and you are holding the spindle nut socket. That part you are touching needs to slide out of the tube. Its held in by the outer ring you removed. Then the socket will fit inside.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Fetch,

Thanks for the pic posting, but what we need to see is inside the hub. What is holding it on is inside the "cavity" of the wheel hub.

BarryGMC is right on the money. You'll need to get the "locking hub mechanism" out of the wheel hub before you'll have access to the spindle nuts.

Take a second look at the pictures I put the arrow on. I'm not familiar with the style locking hubs you have, but you might possibly need to also remove the snap ring that's on the axle shaft itself.

Take a look inside the hub cavity and see if you can spot another snap ring. It will be about the diameter of 50 cent piece. Wipe the grease out of it and see if you can't see one near the center where the axle shaft is sticking through.

Jonathon
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM

Take a look at this pic. This groove where the screwdriver is pointing is where you need to look at the center of the hub to make sure the snap ring is removed.

Normally you need to remove both of them to get the locking hubs all the way out. You've got the large one, now we need to make sure you got the small one.

Take a peek inside the hub and see if you can see it. I drew some things on one of your pictures again. The circle identifies the outer axle shaft. The arrow is pointing to where the snap ring will be.

Jonathon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outer Stub.jpg (181.2 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fetch_hub_3.jpg (387.9 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)

Last edited by JPBrecheisen; May 7th, 2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
If you look at jonothans pic with the little arrow and you are holding the spindle nut socket. That part you are touching needs to slide out of the tube. Its held in by the outer ring you removed. Then the socket will fit inside.
I can't seem to pry it apart. I will soak it in PB Blaster today and give it another shot

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
Take a look at this pic. This groove where the screwdriver is pointing is where you need to look at the center of the hub to make sure the snap ring is removed.

Normally you need to remove both of them to get the locking hubs all the way out. You've got the large one, now we need to make sure you got the small one.

Take a peek inside the hub and see if you can see it. I drew some things on one of your pictures again. The circle identifies the outer axle shaft. The arrow is pointing to where the snap ring will be.

Jonathon
Thanks Jonathon. That was the first snap ring that I got off with my unknown-till-then snap-ring pliers. Total rings so far are two. Is there another one in there?