6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:02 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Body hammer and dolly

Does it matter what kind of hammer and dolly set I get? I can spend 80 bucks on this one or 30 bucks on this one.

My body work will be on ol' cecilia only. i dont plan to use them professionally for work or anything

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; February 2nd, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:24 PM

Truck: 1964 Suburban K1000
chiggerfarmer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Body hammer and dolly

I spent thousands of dollars on Snap-On tools when I worked as a line mechanic in a car dealership and I love the them, especially the quality of the hand tools. Sometimes a good tool can mean success in loosening stuck fasteners instead of ruining them with cheap tools. However, since body work is not my expertise, I chose to buy the cheaper tools for that and have not had a problem. My metal straightening work could sure use some help, but that's not the tool's fault. lol
Old February 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Body hammer and dolly

With 30 plus years of experience in Autobody & paint I can tell you do not buy that $30 set of hammers and dolly's, they're junk. The hammer heads are too small to do the job. That particular set reminds me of something thatlike a toy than the real thing, just like a toy tool set for kids to play with. The $80 set will be a better bet, the hammer heads will be larger and will do a better job of shaping the metal. $80 is not much to spend when you look at the fact that 1 Snap-On hammer will cost $45-$50 minimum.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:20 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

BigBlock i cant do a $50.00 hammer. Holy cow.
i guess I'll go with the Eastwood set and be happy. I cant wait to get to banging on her. i hope the neighbors dont mind too much. Probably going to do it in the garage piece by piece as I can.

She has a lot of stupid bondo on her now. they put bondo in places that were barely dented at all. I bet it costs me 2-3 MPG in gas just hauling all that rock around.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Good choice, the Eastwood set is a real bargain and looks professional.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:13 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Have you done body work before?
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Nope, I've never even tried before. its gonna be a learning experience. I'm just glad i get to learn on 18 gauge steel instead of the modern stuff that's paper thin.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:27 AM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Paint & body is my favorite part...happy to try and help remotely...one secret it to remove the dent opposite the way it went in, like rebuilding a carb. Start with the last part, and work the metal back to where it should be...you will become a dent CSI. lol
Plastic filler isn't as heavy as you think, and anything under 3/16 ( 1/8 even better) is going to be stable.
Regarding the tools, a smooth hardened surface with softened edges is what you want. Quality tools like Eastwood's selection are fine. Honestly, I have 1 hammer and 1 dolley that have served me well for 29 years.