6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old January 21st, 2019, 01:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 305V6 fleetside truck
ronn is on a distinguished road
Default Exploded Views of body panels available?

Hi to all,
I'm looking for exploded views of the roof and brow for '65. I need to get an idea of what's behind the rust I need to repair and what/how panels are placed in order to do a thorough job. I get some from sites that sell repair panels like LMC but they aren't as complete as I hoped to find. Any ideas?
-R
Old January 21st, 2019, 07:28 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Exploded Views of body panels available?

There are probably no factory exploded view. Maybe in a Chevy FAM. Search to find things like this. Normally you do it like exploratory surgery. Start with small shallow cuts and plan each new cut. Regardless, you have to cut the rust out. They sell a patch panel for the brow and I think roof panels also. There is an inner and outer skin/structure. This is probably one of the hardest patch jobs on our trucks. BUT, it's just a matter of keep going until it's all done. Buy as many panels as you can or get donor pieces like this guy did. Making those shapes from scratch is not the way to go except for the simple, inside the structure ,pieces. Buy the patch panels and just use what you need out of them. Like he says in the video, scribe and test and trim and test and ......
It's the kind of work that is only fun if you are drunk.
The standard procedure in rust repair is only cut out what is rusted and leave the good metal. This case may be the exception depending on your situation. It may be easier, better, straighter to replace a whole brow. This is a judgment call. Just keep that in mind. One BIG factor is you DO NOT want to destroy the geometry of the windshield opening. The pinch weld must stay at it's present position, size and shape.
Refer to your other earlier post regarding this repair. It seems like, looking at your other post and the rust-out damage, that you can see what the structure is like?

Last edited by AZKen; January 21st, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:44 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

No, can't see in yet but I will be 'exploring' the area soon and may then. The windshield pinch weld is just surface rust that comes off without altering it. The Brow you see from earlier image and there is rust coming through the inside roof panel (discovered after exploring with a screwdriver :-( much to my dismay).
I am pessamistic anyway and figure I need new brow inside and out. The Roof interior is the difficult part. How can I take out rust when I can't reach it? Must I remove outer shell roof to do this? Ughhh...

...also, is there drainage channels going along the front door pillar? This is why I am looking for that exploded view with detail.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 12:21 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Hope you clicked on the word "this".
Old January 22nd, 2019, 05:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I did. Me thinks me don't like what i see... means more work that budget at the moment but wow, great video series of the repair work! Thank you!
Old January 23rd, 2019, 02:30 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

Here is a good source for replacement panels and parts.

https://www.fixmyrust.com/Category/1960-1966_GMC_Pickup

I have a truck assembly manual, maybe something in there as it shows parts being assembled.

Here is one on e-bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-66-CHE...torefresh=true

Found this site, they even offer roof panels, plus a bunch of other stuff we could use. https://gmcpauls.com/Patch-PANELS.htm

Last edited by jagarra; January 23rd, 2019 at 08:25 PM.