6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter
 



Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical


Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 4th, 2023, 12:03 AM
esquibdl esquibdl is offline
-= Site Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Truck: 1966 GMC 1001
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
esquibdl is on a distinguished road
Default 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

I have a three slider heater control/switch in my 66 GMC that is not working. The middle lever is an air/fan "Off-Lo-Med-Hi" switch. The left lever is DEFROST, and the right lever is HEAT. I can test that the switch is getting power to it via a 4-wire connector that plugs directly into the back of the switch. Power comes from a 10 Amp fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled HEATER / B.U. LPS. Fuse is good, and power is going through it. Any suggestions?

On a separate issue, the Heater Control Bulb was not working either. Found out that the 3A fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled PANEL LPS, which the heater lamp wire was plugged into, had no power. Moved the heater lamp power wire/connector on the fuse panel to another 3A fuse labeled RADIO / BRAKE LP, This fuse had power when the ignition switch is turned on. After making this wiring switch, my heater control lamp worked. Question: Any ideas why there is no power on the PANEL LPS fuse/circuit. Where does power come from for that panel fuse. Can't tell from looking at the front of the fuse panel.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 4th, 2023, 12:09 AM
FetchMeAPepsi's Avatar
FetchMeAPepsi FetchMeAPepsi is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond, Ks
Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
Posts: 1,713
Rep Power: 505
FetchMeAPepsi will become famous soon enoughFetchMeAPepsi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

Are you saying the fan isn't working? Could it just be a bad fan motor?
__________________
Step by steps:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
__________________
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 4th, 2023, 05:05 AM
esquibdl esquibdl is offline
-= Site Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Truck: 1966 GMC 1001
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
esquibdl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

Yes, it could be the fan. Where is the fan and how do you get to it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 5th, 2023, 02:59 AM
FetchMeAPepsi's Avatar
FetchMeAPepsi FetchMeAPepsi is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond, Ks
Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
Posts: 1,713
Rep Power: 505
FetchMeAPepsi will become famous soon enoughFetchMeAPepsi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

im about 200 miles from Cecilia right now but in this pic from my build thread you can see a metal contraption above the passenger footwell. I believe that's the motor housing.

__________________
Step by steps:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
__________________
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 8th, 2023, 02:54 AM
James James is offline
-= Extreme Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Greer, SC
Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
Age: 68
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 182
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquibdl View Post
I have a three slider heater control/switch in my 66 GMC that is not working. The middle lever is an air/fan "Off-Lo-Med-Hi" switch. The left lever is DEFROST, and the right lever is HEAT. I can test that the switch is getting power to it via a 4-wire connector that plugs directly into the back of the switch. Power comes from a 10 Amp fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled HEATER / B.U. LPS. Fuse is good, and power is going through it. Any suggestions?
With the connector connected to the switch and the switch on high, you should have voltage going to the switch, leaving the switch, then going the the firewall connector, and all the way to the motor connector. Also make sure your ground is good. There should be no voltage on the motor ground wire. If there is the there is no ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquibdl View Post
On a separate issue, the Heater Control Bulb was not working either. Found out that the 3A fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled PANEL LPS, which the heater lamp wire was plugged into, had no power. Moved the heater lamp power wire/connector on the fuse panel to another 3A fuse labeled RADIO / BRAKE LP, This fuse had power when the ignition switch is turned on. After making this wiring switch, my heater control lamp worked. Question: Any ideas why there is no power on the PANEL LPS fuse/circuit. Where does power come from for that panel fuse. Can't tell from looking at the front of the fuse panel.
The power come from the same source as the dash lights. Check your wiring diagram for wire color, they should be the same.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 8th, 2023, 03:25 AM
esquibdl esquibdl is offline
-= Site Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Truck: 1966 GMC 1001
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
esquibdl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

All of my lighting problems were grounds.

Is there a pinout for the heater slider switch? Is there an actual ground wire. Or does the metal fan housing (if properly grounded) serve as the ground connection?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 8th, 2023, 02:08 PM
James James is offline
-= Extreme Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Greer, SC
Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
Age: 68
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 182
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquibdl View Post
All of my lighting problems were grounds.

Is there a pinout for the heater slider switch? Is there an actual ground wire. Or does the metal fan housing (if properly grounded) serve as the ground connection?
I do not have the wiring manual for your truck so I would not know. On my 64 it is grounded to the body of the motor. If your is the same then the motor to the blower housing and to the cab should have a good ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 60-63 Heater control parts AZKen 1960-1966 GMC Marketplace 0 August 23rd, 2022 03:50 AM
'60 deluxe heater control levers jbgroby Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical 10 December 23rd, 2018 10:30 PM
Heater dashboard control assembly Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 January 12th, 2009 01:32 AM
Heater control pad for my Tilt cab? Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 May 4th, 2004 06:45 AM
Heater Control Questions Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 February 24th, 2004 01:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd 671701797382|1700822042|0
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.