6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2016, 12:11 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 1/2 ton SWB Fleetside
AngryPirate is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 Pick up VIN location

I know there have been some posts about this, but I was wondering if anyone had some new insight...

The kick panel plate, as far as I know is not the VIN plate, but the ratings plate.

Here's my story:

So, I tried to get a title for my truck and part of that process is taking the vehicle to the sheriff office vehicle theft unit and they give you a forum so you can complete the process.

They weren't accepting the door frame plate with the serial number and wanted the vin from the chassis, which they believe to be on the drivers side on the top of the frame rail, just in front of the rear cab mount. So, since I might be replacing the cab anyways, I cut open the floor to expose that part of the frame and there was nothing there.

There was nothing that I could see on the front part of the frame (horns? area).

From what I've read, Chevys may have had these stampings on the frame, but the GMC's didn't, especially my year of truck, 1960.

Any thoughts on this?
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:34 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

What is your VIN number/Serial Number on your "door frame"?...and what do you mean by door frame exactly? You also mention a kick panel plate. There is no frame/chassis stamp. Do you have two plates? If so, where exactly are they?

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:17 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Serial# on the drivers side cab door frame reads: 1001 P N35631A

I know that 1001 means its a 1/2 ton with a SWB, I know the 'P' means Pontiac, Michigan manufactured, and I know that the 'N' is the year designation, sort of....60 and 61 and the rest is the number of manufacture and the 'A' means its GVW is 6000 lbs or less.

But I believe the sheriff is expecting to find a different number stamped somewhere on the chassis, which from what I've read, doesn't exist on GMC's of my year. Chevrolet's, I believe there are stampings.

I just want to know if there are any other areas on the frame I could investigate.

The serial # unfortunately doesn't specify the color code or anything else outside of things listed above.

It just sucks because I think the sheriff believes that there should be a VIN outside of the serial #, which might not be the case.

Like I mentioned earlier, I opened up the floor on the cab over the driver side rear cab mount and cleaned the dirty and rust off and no sign of a stamping at all. :-/

Here is the door frame plate I am referring to...

Last edited by AngryPirate; November 25th, 2016 at 02:20 AM. Reason: adding what 'A' designates
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:32 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Since I did ask you how many plates you have and exactly where they were and you show a Chevy A pillar with a stainless steel plate, I assume you have that one plate at that location. If so, something is wrong with your truck. There is only one plate on 1960 GMC 1/2 T and it is not located as in the picture. It is an all-in-one plate with VIN and Motor info. There is NO frame stamping on USA 1960 GMC 1/2T. There is something very fishy about your truck, The person who did the VIN switch did not know that GMC tag is not located there. He just assumed it was the same as Chevy. Looks like a Chevy cab with a phony GMC VIN. GMC Clone. Unless you clarify this VIN tag and location more clearly to me. Maybe someone else has seen a tag there on 60-61. However, the GMC manual clearly states where the tag is and what it looks like. I see you are wanting a tag in another post. That tag is wrong for your truck. Not just the wrong motor designation but the wrong tag altogether.

Not sure what this sentence means regarding "outside of the"
It just sucks because I think the sheriff believes that there should be a VIN outside of the serial #,

Also to be clear about terms. I am guilty also......The term VIN was NOT used yet by GMC. It is, in fact, a serial number. Not a VIN... but we all use both terms...but you used them both in one sentence, so I wanted to be sure what you meant?

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:42 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Since I did ask you how many plates you have and exactly where they were and you show a Chevy A pillar with a stainless steel plate, I assume you have that plate at that location. If so, something is wrong with your truck. There is only one plate on 1960 GMC 1/2 T and it is not located as in the picture. It is an all-in-one plate with VIN and Motor info. There is NO frame stamping on USA 1960 GMC 1/2T. There is something very fishy about your truck, The person who did the VIN switch did not know that GMC tag is not located there. He just assumed it was the same as Chevy. Looks like a Chevy cab with a phony GMC VIN. GMC Clone. Unless you clarify this VIN tag and location more clearly to me. Maybe someone else has seen a tag there on 60-61. However, the GMC manual clearly states where the tag is and what it looks like. I see you are wanting a tag in another post. That tag is wrong for your truck. Not just the wrong motor designation but the wrong tag altogether.
But that photo I provided was a link to this sites information about VINs on GMC's. Is that wrong? Perhaps the site admin should be made aware.

This is the page I got that photo from. As far as I can tell, the kick panel plate is just for the vehicle rating.
http://6066gmcguy.com/GMCID1.html

The ratings plate that should be on the kick panel is missing.

kick panel plate here:

from this information page as well.:
http://6066gmcguy.com/GMCID1.html
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:46 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

good to know that there is absolutely no frame stamping, since I don't have one.

It's just going to take some effort to convince the sheriff.

Thanks Ken.
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:59 AM

I have told you everything you need to know. You are obviously hiding something about your truck or you can't understand my questions. We are not going to participate or give info to someone who has no title, no answers and does not respond to questions. Your truck is fishy, as I said. Don't show me pictures of a VIN plate off of a website to blow smoke on the issue. When you are ready, which I doubt, to respond to what you have and what you are up to, let me know.
We will correct any errors on the Jolly Legacy Page. That info is for locating a plate when buying a truck, it's not for building an abandon, stolen, salvage or clone truck.

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 03:05 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
I have told you everything you need to know. You are obviously hiding something about your truck or you can't understand my questions. We are not going to participate or give info to someone who has no title, no answers and does not respond to questions. Your truck is fishy, as I said. Don't show me pictures of a VIN plate off of a website to blow smoke on the issue. When you are ready, which I doubt, to respond to what you have and what you are up to, let me know.
Nothing to hide Ken. I've told you everything I know and I have provided THIS SITES (6066gmcguy.org is the parent to the forums) facts about where VINs should be, so I think there might be something the matter with your GMCs since mine seems to match what THIS site says is correct.

Blowing smoke? Are you high? You do realize those pictures are from THIS WEBSITE. Look at the URL.

I'm starting to think you're this sites troll. This is the second time you've been rude and condescending and act like you know it all. Please do not respond to anything I post. You are not helpful.

Go to this site, it might make it more clear to you... http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

Last edited by AngryPirate; November 25th, 2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added sites parent URL
Old November 25th, 2016, 03:19 AM

Not sure what this sentence means regarding "outside of the"

"it just sucks because i think the sheriff believes that there should be a vin outside of the serial #, "

also to be clear about terms. I am guilty also......the term vin was not used yet by gmc. It is, in fact, a serial number. Not a vin... But we all use both terms...but you used them both in one sentence, so i wanted to be sure what you meant?
MY truck, the trucks on the internet and the 1960 Manual says that the Page you keep using could be a little off. We will investigate and correct.

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 03:32 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

The legacy site shows where things should be (which includes being useful when buying a truck).

The other users on another vintage truck site also state the location of my serial # plate matches theirs.

My tag/plate with my serial, or what the DMV is going to refer to as a "VIN" is where it's supposed to be. The ratings plate is missing. But there are holes where the rivets used to be.

So that said, it's most likely my truck is simply without a title and has been lost over the years. So, it being a clone seems unlikely. It's not some mysterious, conspiracy GMC frame, cab swap.

It has all the correct parts....the correct motor, carburetor, all parts ordered from NAPA (with the exception of the distributor) are a perfect match.

It has the original under cab fuel filter, etc., etc.

I look forward to someone "correcting" the old information site. It seems to have been correct about everything else so far.

All I was looking for, if there was a possibility of a stamping somewhere on the chassis. You seem to think there shouldn't be, as do many others. So the contribution I needed from you has been fulfilled.

Yeah, my serial plate for my truck is exactly where 1000 series truck is supposed to be...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3000006

Another well known site validating mine is in the correct place. Let's see this manual you keep telling us about. Snap a picture for a brother, would ya?

Thanks again Ken for your rude and condescending response.

Always a pleasure. Please stop responding to any of my posts.
Closed Thread