6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old February 24th, 2023, 05:42 PM

Truck: 1963 2500
bigred1 is on a distinguished road
Default hard start

why is it so hard to start my 1963 gmc 1500 305v6 in cold weather. 2 barrel stromberg
Old February 25th, 2023, 01:16 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: hard start

Could be the cold, could be something not related to cold. Which means a long list and tests. Google it or give us all the info and history. If you are sure it's cold weather, get a block heater. It's just Mother Nature thickening the oil and shrinking all the moving parts and messing with the battery, thus: slow starter. But we don't know your info, history and manifestation of "hard to start".

This will do the trick.

Many folks don't drive their vintage trucks in the winter.....salt!....slippery!......no ABS.....hard start.....no heater!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by AZKen; February 25th, 2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old February 25th, 2023, 01:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Are you choking it when you try to start it in the cold? Could also be a miscalibrated carb float, lack of fuel in the line because it's draining down, a weak battery, we're just guessing without more info. "It dont start" doesn't give us much to go on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 25th, 2023, 03:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

My truck is running - I better go catch it!
Old February 25th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
why is it so hard to start my 1963 gmc 1500 305v6 in cold weather. 2 barrel stromberg
As Azken indicated, your hard starting problem could be any number of things ranging from weak spark, worn starter bushings and brushes, improper oil viscosity for cold weather conditions, (which shouldn't be a problem if you're using 10W30 or 10W20 oil) weak spark, or choke not being fully closed for cold starting, or a very weak or underrated battery. When I was in Technical School, we (students) were taught that on a day when the ambient temperature is 0 degrees F, a battery loses half of its cold cranking ability. In other words, a battery rated at 400 CCA (Cold Crank Amps) is reduced to 200 CCA ability. So, one by one, you will have to start chasing down these gremlins starting with the easy ones first. Make sure that your choke is fully closing, (and fuel is getting to the carburetor) proper oil viscosity for winter weather conditions, Ignition system tuneup, (new points condenser and spark plugs) check for possible weak Ignition coil, and then you can go to the more serious problems like a weak starter due to bushing and brush wear. My answer is a bit lengthy, but these are all things to be considered for hard starting in cold weather conditions. And I'm not being preachy, or in any way indicating that you are not mechanically inclined, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can based on my own experiences.
Old February 26th, 2023, 05:14 PM

thanks for the response. battery is 3 years old, carb was rebuilt, full choke when trying to start, 10w30 oil. the carb also has a king seeley vari speed handy govenor
Old February 26th, 2023, 11:17 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
thanks for the response. battery is 3 years old, carb was rebuilt, full choke when trying to start, 10w30 oil. the carb also has a king seeley vari speed handy govenor

I don't know about that governor. Someone else will have to jump in on it.
For me, I know Cecilia doesn't like full choke even in negative temps. She wants a little over half choke. Does yours like full choke when it's warm?
Also, 3 years on a battery might be all you get when it's cold for an engine this huge. You need a ton of amps to turn them over.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:42 AM

I start the truck on full choke. Once engine turns over and warms up it is good for the rest of the day
Old March 4th, 2023, 12:57 AM

Default oil drain plug gasket

where can I order a oil drain plug gasket for my 305. drain plug is 1 1/8
Old March 8th, 2023, 02:14 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

the govenor is on the engine to keep the engine from over-revving. this is a fleet truck and the govenor was part of the optional equipment the truck was ordered with. As a single owner, you have the choice of leaving the govenor, or removing it and replacing the studs with short bolts and bolting the ww directly to the intake manifold. Just food for thought.