6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical
#Sponsored

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old August 28th, 2024, 12:00 AM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road
Default Turn signal indicator light

My 1960 1500 turn signal switch failed decades ago.
Maybe there was a way to fix the part that turns off the brake light while turning, but I could not figure it out, so I installed separate light fixtures in the back and ran the whole works with a three-way toggle switch.
That part still works just fine, and the indicator light did too for many years.
When it became intermittent, a little wiggle of the bulb fixed it. Until it didn't.
Then I pulled the dash out and found a small break in the printed circuit and managed to bridge it and enjoy several more years of a nice bright indicator and avoid the dreaded flashing away while driving (the noise in the cab is just a bit louder than the flasher).
A recent similar "fix" has proven transitory and resistant to further repair.
Maybe I could install a whole new light somewhere, but I would rather one of you has a magic approach I haven't thought of.

PS: It made three smooth trips with about 2500 lbs of hay each last week. One of them was on a three mile straightaway with the above mentioned flashing and the poor guy behind me wondering when the **** I was going to turn.
Old August 28th, 2024, 01:47 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Turn signal indicator light

The magic approach is either buy a new switch, like just the internal switch or..... buy a clamp-on-the-column switch. Time to upgrade your DIY game.
Old August 28th, 2024, 03:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think I'm understanding, is it the cam (plastic C shaped thing) in the column that's broke, the circuit board again, or a wire, or the light socket?
Sorry its 9pm and its been a long dragging rear end type of day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 28th, 2024, 06:15 PM

The problem is the power feed through the printed circuit to the indicator light socket.
Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help.
Old August 28th, 2024, 07:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
The problem is the power feed through the printed circuit to the indicator light socket.
Sorry Ken, but ten new switches and three new "DIY games" would not help.
That's the pits. I hate to say it but unless you're OK with soldering a jumper wire on to "jump over" the bad area, you're looking at buying a new PCB.

I guess Ebay is the best bet with that. Here's one for a 1967-72 (wont fit) to give you some search terms to look for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186574794403

Oh wait, you know what? I've had soldering done at those "We repair CELL PHONES" stores pretty cheap. Like $20.00 and they have micro solderers to make it easy. I don't think you'd need that for this, but they might be able to fix it in a reliable way.

If you do that, post the results so we can see if there's a better idea than just poking a wire on it, which is what I'd do.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 29th, 2024, 03:30 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I'm sure I can get you fixed. However the history and repairs story is VERY hard to follow as to what exactly is wrong now. So let's concenrate on what does or does not work.
1. Do front and rear turn signals operate OK?
2. What does the dash bulb do or not do? Is the dash bulb operation the only issue you wish to fix?
3. Probably should wait for me to suggest before doing any more repairs.
4. Does the canceler...cancel mechanically and return lever to middle? if not, does moving lever to middle fix whatever is happening.
5. It seems like right now the indicator bulb is flashing but not going off after turning, is that right?
6. it seems that turn signal bulbs front and rear also continue to flash after turn, is that right?
7. It would be helpful to just answer each question carefully without any of us, or you, analyzing the circuit or a fix.

"The problem is the power feed through the printed circuit to the indicator light socket."
I understand you are giving what you think is the general circuit problem. All I want to know is what the bulb is doing or what a component is doing or not doing.

Last edited by AZKen; August 29th, 2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old August 29th, 2024, 06:15 PM

Ken:
To help you in your commitment to "get me fixed," I'll just do what you say in #7.
#1: Yes
#2: Yes
#3: NA
#4: No Removed and discarded in the 1970's.
#5: No
#6: No
Old August 29th, 2024, 06:40 PM

Good progress

To help you in your commitment to "get me fixed," I'll just do what you say in #7.
#1: Yes
#2: Yes Part 1: Answer yes????: What does the dash bulb do or not do? Part 2: Answer Yes: Is the dash bulb operation the only issue you wish to fix? What is the issue?
#3: NA
#4: No Removed and discarded in the 1970's. Explain all the moves made from begining to end of a turn.
#5: No
#6: No

I believe, but not sure, you are using a combination of a toggle switch and the original column lever actuated switch. Whatever the situation, explain:
1. How you initiate a turn.
2. How you designate the direction of the turn to the correct bulbs.
3. How you end the flashing and return all switches to off.
Above is the physical moves to what devices, not the wiring or circuit.

Maybe all you are just saying is everything "works" OK.... Flashing at normal blink speed? Explain all the moves made from begining to end of a turn but you have to remember to shut the flash off and that is what you wish you didn't have to do? Is that right? But please answer the questions anyway.

Last edited by AZKen; August 29th, 2024 at 08:50 PM.
Old August 29th, 2024, 09:43 PM

Thanks for trying, Ken, but as has become evident over the years, you and I do not seem to speak mutually intelligible languages.
Old August 29th, 2024, 10:38 PM

As an Aerospace Electro-Mechanical Design engineer, I try to fully understand what a problem is. Trying not rush to judgement too early or recommend the wrong solution. I think you see from a few other comments that your communication skills are lacking in explaining a problem to a group who can't see it, test or know what you are talking about. That's OK, it's also OK for me to try and understand a very mixed up non standard turn signal/DIY/multi repair/flex print/toggle switch fix you did. Most importantly trying to know what is it that is an issue exactly. I see you started being sarcastic about answering questions. These answers are all we have to clarify what seems to you as a perfect explanation. What is your purpose of wasting time being limited as to information/clarification? You can carry this anger around with you and end up be alone someday. I don't keep track of who is who on here, I just focus on helping someone fix an issue. I'm not your daddy, I'm not baby sitting you. You are rude and ill-mannered. Your opinion of my "language" is wrong, you are being sensitive to nothing but ego. Wanting help but hating to be helped.
You had the right guy, who cared, and now you don't. That makes us both happy. Maybe I can remember who you are next time if i can learn to carry animosity towards someone around with me like you do. I do stick up for myself and always will.

Last edited by AZKen; August 29th, 2024 at 11:17 PM.