6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old October 18th, 2019, 12:10 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Thought I would start a build journal for my newly acquired truck. Not sure the direction it is going to take but here are a couple pictures of the before.
Truck is a long bed with factory 305E engine and SM420 transmission and Dana/spicer44 rear end, power steering.
Truck had been painted blue and is now black, the original color was light green. It is wearing Ford hubcaps.
I know I want to retain the Big block 6 cylinder sm 420 transmission.The rotted out bed wood was covered with some sheet metal. First order of business is to give the engine a service: ie oil change then tune up and adjust the valves to spec.
I'd like to start slowly towards collecting some correct parts, it is missing the air cleaner.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7099.JPG (3.20 MB, Multiple views, 45 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_7111.JPG (3.09 MB, Multiple views, 23 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1877.JPG (3.83 MB, Multiple views, 32 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_7101.JPG (3.20 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg i-qRvFq99-XL.jpg (127.2 KB, Multiple views, 32 clicks)

Last edited by tbucketnut; October 18th, 2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: adding pics
Old October 23rd, 2019, 03:25 AM

tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Picture of the original bed that is pretty well rotted out.
Also, found some damage under the truck on the forward most cross member, the one that the radiator mount is on. Appears somebody used it as a tow point sometime in the past and ripped one side right out of the frame rivets, the radiator is being supported by the lower hose. I missed this completely when I was giving it a once over, would of been a great speaking point for lowering the price of the truck. Luckily, with the help of members here, I was able to locate another one quickly.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2049.JPG (4.32 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1935.JPG (3.57 MB, Multiple views, 26 clicks)
Old October 27th, 2019, 05:23 PM

Back for another report:
Yesterday spent the day removing the damaged front cross-member and the four rivets that once secured it to the frame, I attached a picture of that mangled mess. I'm going to have the radiator pressure checked just because it was knocked out of its lower hangers. It is a nice three core and it looks like it has escaped carnage. Speaking of carnage, I found some more damage by the drain plug, the oil pan has been pushed it, and probably was the reason somebody broke the cross-member trying to unstick the truck in the past. There was a small hole in the pan and somebody in the past had ran a sheet metal screw into the hole with a piece of rubber. The drain plug couldnt be remove unless the sheet metal screw was removed first, probably the reason the oil was as black as I ever had seen before. Because of this, I'm sure the oil hadn't been changed since Christ was a child. I will have to hunt me down another oil pan.
Anyway the goal is to get all these things sorted out before I put it on the road and see what else needs to be done. Next week I will be dropping the oil out of the SM420 and Dana/Spicer 44. Then after welding the hole in the pan, I'm checking brakes then it is top side for tune up/valve adjust/compression test and new coolant. A big shout out of thanks to Cliff (LizziesmeistersV6) for sending me a correct air cleaner. BTW, if any of you GMC guys need a sm420 rebuilt, I'm up here in the pacific northwest, my home shop is setup to go through these, would be willing to trade labor for some parts I might be needing in the future. I always have one ready to go.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2063.JPG (5.89 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2067.JPG (3.38 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.JPG (3.04 MB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)
Old November 6th, 2019, 01:09 AM

Got the truck purring like a kitten, love the sound of those solid lifters. Valve adjustment was way out, loose on some tight on others, fluids changed: oil, new mineral oil in the trans and hypoid gear oil in the rear. Radiator mounts changed, coolant flushed. Before I put it on the road, I have to get a look see on the brakes and find the leak in the master cylinder. Then have a rebuilt kit coming for the power steering control valve, it is leaking badly, might stick a little brake fluid in the ps resevoir to swell the seals and see if that helps. Found an oil bath air cleaner from a member here, thank you sir. Also, after the valve adjustment I ran a compression test, most had 115 psi, two with 100. Thinking it could use the valves ground and some new guides. BTW, it took almost 7 gallons to fill the cooling system, 3 gallons of concentrate anti freeze. Good god, these engines could of never over heated. What a monster. Welded up the oil pan pin hole.This truck has needed tlc for awhile, now it is going to get a full cab off, after I get to see what all it will need. Probably start in the spring.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2073.JPG (3.67 MB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 6th, 2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old November 11th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Sunday spent the day picking up the shop from the mess I made the week before. It is a good time to find all the tools that you have looked for but couldn't find because you left it by the bench grinder or on the press plate. Wasn't able to settle in on a truck name yet, but I have the family brain storming now.

I had to buy a new door actuator on the driver's side, so now I do not have to roll the window down and reach out the window to open the door from the outside. My seal kit on the power steering control hasn't came in yet, so I havent checked out the brake system, so no maiden voyage yet, but the truck starts and idles well.

Here is a little project I have to finish before getting serious on the 64 GMC, it is a little 235 for a buddies 52 5 window I'm assembling for him. In the mean time the 64 lives here under the carport
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2087.JPG (4.30 MB, Multiple views, 21 clicks)
Old November 23rd, 2019, 02:42 AM

Tackled the leaky power steering pump today, found that the leak was on the return nipple, somebody in the past had tried to fix the leak by welding it. Ended up disassembling the pump, putting a seal kit into it, glass beading the housing. I then ground off the bad weld job around the return nipple and then braised it. Threw some rattle can semi gloss black on it and reinstalled it. No more leaks in the pump. Getting close to getting it back on the road, tomorrow I'll look at the brakes, then if they check out it is time for some street trials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.JPG (3.53 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2150.JPG (2.55 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:19 AM

Good day in the shop today, got a lot accomplished. Pulled the front wheels off and then the front hubs and brake drums off for a look see at the brakes. Brakes looked good but the last owner didnt drive much as evidence of all the cobwebs in the brake backing plates. Was able to get some oil seals and pulled the bearings out for inspection, cleaning and repacking. Got it all back together and put on some GMC hubcaps I got cheap from an 80s truck, threw the old ford hubcaps in the trash. Went out for the maiden voyage, and returned unscathed. Truck drove out really well for a 55 year old girl.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next up is into the cab to remove the seat to give the cab a good cleaning.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2152.JPG (5.64 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2154.JPG (4.85 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2155.JPG (4.86 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2153.JPG (4.89 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 24th, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old November 24th, 2019, 02:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Good day in the shop today, got a lot accomplished.

Steve
Looks awesome, Steve -- keep up the good work!
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old November 25th, 2019, 06:07 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Got it all back together and put on some GMC hubcaps I got cheap from an 80s truck, threw the old ford hubcaps in the trash. Went out for the maiden voyage, and returned unscathed. Truck drove out really well for a 55 year old girl.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Steve
Get those hubcaps out of the trash. They have a use. My GMC came with Ch*vy hubcaps. I use them to hold spare nuts and bolts. Lol.

Congrats on the maiden voyage!
Old November 25th, 2019, 01:40 PM

Nate, never thought of that, great idea.
I'm calling my son this morning, he is going to be 35 and tell him I got schooled by a 19 year old. see at 61 with many years of wrenching, I learned something new, thank you for that.

Steve

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump