6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 15th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough
Default 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. Here are some pics

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I started with the back of the truck. Everything was extremley dirty but in good condition.

We removed the whole axle with the leaf springs. Cleaning an painting was a lot of work but I think it was worth it

I also removed the back hangers because the rivets were damaged

Every part was blastet, primed with zinc and painted black

Ordered some new rims. Luckily, they fit

Added some new brake lines in stainless steele

I try to get the original parts. The front bumper and the parts for the headlights were new chrome plated.

At the moment i removed all parts out of the cab including the doors and the glas. The front is lowered 3 inches with new springs.

Next step is to remove the cab and the engine to finish the whole frame and the control arms in front and the brakes.

I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread.

Last edited by GMCTom; July 16th, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Default Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Now the photos should work

Old July 16th, 2019, 01:32 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Welcome to the forum Tom! Beautiful truck and nice work your doing on it. What does the lettering script on the front fenders say?
Old July 16th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Thank you Funky61

The lettering is "DP Truck Center San Diego".

I think that was the dealer. I searched the internet but found nothing.

I bought the truck with California plates.
Old July 16th, 2019, 05:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful restoration work!! Congratulations.
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:34 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread.

Welcome to the forum, Tom! Are the rest of the vehicles in your first photo yours too? I see a '67 to '72 GM truck there, as well as a Jeep or two.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Jolly's original site too:

Keep up the good work!
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old July 17th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Thank you everyone. Nice people here.

Ed, unfortunately not

The cars are from a friend of mine. He is the local US car dealer.
Old July 25th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Hi,

some update to the restoration. I cleaned the steering gear, replaced the seals, renewed the grease and paint it black.

Old September 21st, 2019, 02:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1945, 1955.2, 1955.2 tonner, 1959 3/4 ton, 1966 4x4, 1967 1/2 ton and a V12
GMCv6inND is on a distinguished road

Your pickup is really coming along - keep up the great work and I’ll keep looking in on your progress. It must be a pretty good challenge restoring to this degree, so far away from all the parts sources?! I was stationed in Germany many years ago w an old Nova and my father sent me a lot of parts through the mail, including the whole exhaust system.
Your GMC is looking great!
Old September 26th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Thanks for your motivation

Concerning the parts sources you are right. Large parts like crossmember, trailing arms are hard to come by. Unfortunately, there are no US cars on our junkyards.
Everything else the price is ok, e.g. at Rockauto. Price for shipping is ok too. It is cheaper than restore a german car. The prices for spare parts for old cars like VW, Audi, Mercedes or BMW are extremely high.

Here are some new pictures for the 6066gmcclub.

Brakes, spindles, hubs, control arms, shaft, crossmember and the frame I have now completely taken apart. It is currently at sandblasting, priming and painting

The frame was painted in the back already by myself but in some places (rivets) unfortunately not perfect, because the rust from the surface could not be removed properly. Therefore completely sandblasting.

One question to all: on the last picture I've found this spring on the frame. What is the task of the spring?

The next pictures show the pedals, which are back from powder coating. They still have to be mounted.

I will post the photos in the next few days.