6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Talking 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Here we go guys - and my kids will be here so please remember that in the comments and keep them G rated - This is Cecilia. She is named after the old Simon and Garfunkel song that I only knew the chorus to at the time.
Don't google it. The rest of the song isn't really for all audiences

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

"Cecilia, you're breaking my heart! You're shakin' my confidence daily!"

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The name came to me as I was trying to get her started and the song kept playing through my head. And it kinda fits. We've been trying it out for a while now. It "feels" right.

Previous owner said everything was original except for a little mud in the corners and the turn signal, which broke on him and he couldn't find a replacement. It has an alternator too, but I didn't have the heart to tell the old timer that they came with generators. And I don't mind, thought I'd kinda like to have a generator some day.

These pix are a bit newer because she has her fenders off. They were removed prior to transport.
I'll have pix of that soon. I like to do "step by step" documentation so it'll kinda be like that i guess.

My youngest driving

The seat is a style I haven't seen before, though it looks like it has been clipped to the springs since heck was a pup

Kids making memories and butt-prints

Kids driving and playing "What's this lever/button/knob do?"

Eating apples in the bed. Something about "Cecilia" makes the kids hungry. In the first week we've had snacks on her five times, lunch three times, and dinner twice. Wife wasn't home

This is one of my best little helpers and the most ardent supporter of my buying Cecilia. I think she's angling for an inheritance.

My plan right now is just to get her up and running well. Today was bolting the cowling corner back on, airing the tires and moving her to the backyard so I can work in private. I'd like to paint her back to the original color too but any talk of paint and the kids get all weepy eyed. They're patina fans and I haven't even talked to them about "patinas". They just like the look. We'll see how that goes. I also want to add PS because she's a longstepper and she turns on a half dollar. Whew!

This might end up going anywhere by the time it's over. Flames and a flux capaciter anyone?

With my hip being what it is my oldest helper volunteered to air all four tires for me so i don't have to get up and down. And she hates getting dirty. She's a peach.

This weekend is a carb rebuild and a general cleaning. Perhaps some brillo on that crappy rattle can primer.

Next weekend I'll replace that passenger window and work on getting the original AM radio with the letters GMC on it running. If you're working on these old trucks and haven't sampled the same music the guys that built it were listening to...well, you're missing out! :metal:

Funny story, right now while we tinker with her we're piping an old record out the window, "K-Tel's Looney Tunes, 24 Great Hilarious Songs"

Our Playlist:

Code:
"They're Coming to Take Me Away" by Jerry Samuels aka Napoleon XIV 
 "Along Came Jones by The Coasters 
 "Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh!" by Alan Sherman 
 "The Bird's the Word" by The Rivingtons 
 "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" by Edward Byrnes 
 "The Witch Doctor" by David Seville 
 "Baby Sittn' Boogie" by Buzz Clifford 
 "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus 
 "Little Eeefin Annie" by Joe Perkins 
 "Haunted House" by Jumpin Gene Simons 
 "My Boomerang Won't Come Back", by Charlie Drake 
 "The Streak" by Ray Stevens 
 "Rubber Duckie" by Harv Norman 
 "Tip-Toe Through The Tulips With Me" by Tiny Tim 
 "Charlie Brown" by The Coasters 
 "Ape Call" by Nervous Norvus 
 "Shaving Cream" by The Hustlers 
 "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by The Rivingtons 
 "My Old Man's a Dustman" by Lonnie Donegan 
 "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs 
 "Dinner With Drac" by John Zacherie 
 "I Love Onions" by Susan Christie 
 "Mother-in-Law" by Ernie K-Doe 
 "Chipmonk Song" by David Seville and The Chipmunks
Now if that doesn't make you scratch your head and slap the closest person to you I don't know what will.

We did finally get her running enough to move to the back but I ran outta gas midway through the gate.

It's a good thing these great old trucks can bump forward with the starter if necessary. The gas tank was covered by the fence.

5 gallons of pure gas (no ethanol) later and she was running-ish again. At least enough to backed her into her new home. She runs like a one legged duck.

She still has the original 305 V6 engine in her too. The cool thing about that is that by modern numbers it puts out 175hp & 388 ft/lbs of torque and back then it was only rated at 142hp & 260 ft/lbs of torque. They rated hp and torque different back then which explains the difference in the numbers.
Oh and it weighs 840 lbs! That's just the engine!

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; January 27th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Way cool, good to see the help. My oldest "17" going on smarter than me wants My 60. She may some day
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:13 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Way cool, good to see the help. My oldest "17" going on smarter than me wants My 60. She may some day
thanks! My teen is just hitting that stage. She's 16 now and getting a little free with the 'whatever's. I have to whack that mole from time to time to keep her in place. Thank goodness she's a good kid. If that's the worst we ever have I'll be a happy man.

I'll probably still have to kill the first two boys that come sniffin around and put their heads on spikes in the yard, but that's part of the territory.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

More pix -

Dual original visors

And the damaged pass side. I'm going to bang around on it some, but am not entirely against buying a replacement.

Old January 27th, 2013, 02:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Have any of you seen a seat like this? This is the first one I've seen. The orig owner said it was all stock but I've never seen one in an ad or a build or anything.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Click any of the links to see larger pictures.
I'm very lucky to have these little curtain climbers. This is a great opportunity to get them outside with their dad.

My future wrench turner trying the seat out

Lunch on the tailgate with my son. It doesn't get any better than this.

My son and my "powder puff mechanic" taking turns. The seat is like a trampoline due to it's age.

My powder puff mechanic posing with my busted up old tailgate.

My oldest trying out the wheel. "What's this other pedal for?" Ha ha

And finally the carnivorous Cecilia and my powder puff mechanic being a ham. This is now my avatar with her yelling "HELP" in a word bubble.

Old January 28th, 2013, 03:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I like to keep records and how-tos so that's how most of my updates will be formatted. Hopefully it helps someone, if not it'll help me if and when I start another project.

And it helps to troubleshoot my many, many mistakes when I know the road I've been down.

So without further adeu, a carb rebuild is in order for my baby Cecilia.
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:57 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Cecilia's going to be a daily driver one day so the first job on the table is making her more reliable. Right now she runs like a one legged duck on a whack-a-mole table. I started with a carb (carburetor) rebuild. I'm sure it's the wrong thing to do. Most of the things I choose to do are probably wrong. I've learned to live with it

My carb is still the original Stromberg WW model. I plan to upgrade to a Holley 4410c 500 CFM eventually, but I want to have everything else running smoothly before that happens. So I bought a GP Sorenson Carb Kit from Autozone for $37.99. The part number is 96-574.

The carb kit does NOT come with a float, in fact the computer told the little guy at Autozone that this carb doesn't need a float. He was like, "Ok, now this computer is just flat out lying to me." Points for the parts guy having a sense of humor

I got my kit home and waited until the weekend when I'd have someone watching my youngest and I could draft my main helper for photography duty.

Saturday it was bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, pain killers for the hip, and then off to Cecilia with my child number 2 in tow.

For this project I needed:
(sorry for the metric, someone stole my standard wrenches just a week ago. A pox on their house!)
  • 12 MM wrench
  • 13 MM wrench
  • 15 MM wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Carburetor cleaner or dip (dip preferred! 27.90 @ Autozone)
  • 2 or 3 old towels
  • About 4-6 hours. I did mine over two days and 8 hours to allow the JB Weld to cure.
As you can see I have the old style oil bath air cleaner. It'll be cleaned too by the time this is over. Start by removing the wing nut on the top of it.

Click any of these images to see a larger version.

I always just set the nut on top of the air cleaner so I don't lose it. This won't work if you don't put the air cleaner in a safe place though. Watch for gremlins stealing those wingnuts. They're like candy to them.

Then just lift the entire air cleaner away. OOOh, Ahhhh!

Next we remove the gas line. If your large brass connection isn't very tight then you'll need to use two wrenches to remove the smaller brass fitting, with one holding the large fitting stationary while the small one turns. I'm using a 15mm and a 13mm shown here.

There *could* be a screen in here so be careful. Mind did not have one. Gremlins, I tell you.

Now unhook the large spring. I don't know all of the official terms for everything so we'll call this the Large Throttle Spring Of Doom. Be careful because it is under tension. Tension is what gives it a hunger for blood.

Then pull free the linkage (metal bar) that the Large Throttle Spring Of Doom was hooked into.

At this point I reached around the back of the carb to remove the brass fitting that runs to the vacuum advance. Here I'm using a 12 open ended wrench.

Now come back to the throttle linkage. Unscrew the top screw just a couple of turns. This screw holds the wire that's poked through underneath it. We're just wanting it to let go of the wire, we're not trying to remove the screw.

There's another screw that we need to loosen directly behind the one we just did. There's a nut on the back end of it (indicated by my ugly finger) so don't unscrew it too much or you'll be chasing it down a spark plug hole.
Just unscrew it a couple of turns and disconnect the cable by pulling it out to the side.

Here's me pulling it to the side. I bet you're glad you saw this. You're so well informed.

Now pull the little wire free from the top. It MAY be bent around to help hold it in place. If so just unbend it. It doesn't need to be bent if your screw is tightened properly anyway. Leave it straight. Straight is how God intended.

Congrats! At this point we've removed all of the "stuff" hooked to the carburetor! Pat yourself on the back - well, no. Your hand is filthy. What's wrong with you? Born in a barn? Ask someone else to pat you on the back. That will also give you the opportunity to tell them how manly and tough you are for making it this far.
Ohhh Yeahhh!!

Ok, back to work, Superman. You've only got four nuts left and you're in the clear!

I'm using a 15mm wrench to remove these. DO NOT DROP THE NUTS. They're very difficult to fish out of the spark plug holes. Where Gremlins live. And they bite.

Remove the nut located here:

And here (don't mind my Photographer in the background):

Then here:

And finally here, under all that spaghetti we just took loose.

My carb had lock washers, but only on the front two bolts. Again, do NOT DROP THESE or you'll have a heck of a time fishing for them in spark plug holes. Don't believe me? Go ahead Mr. Know it all. Drop one. I double DOG dare ya!

Now just lift the entire carb up and off!
You'll be left with this.

Eww. That's anticlimactic.

Here's what it looks like with the bottom plate removed. You can see how tall the lip is without the plate. Now is a good time to poke a clean(ish) rag in the intake hole so you don't drop crud down there and ruin your engine.

My bottom plate had this really cool homemade gasket on it. It was made from what I assume was the box that the previous carb repair kit came in. It looked about like a cereal box only much thinner. They just tore off a piece and mashed it on the bolts. There were little bits of superthin cardboard everywhere.

I pulled off most of the cardboard but several pieces were pretty stuck. They'll come off in the dip though.

With the carb removed and placed on these very manly pink and turquoise towels that my wife donated to my project, we'll get back to the dissassembly by straightening and removing the cotter pin shown at the top of the remaining linkage.

Sort of...My photographer had a hard time fixing the shot in the bright sunlight.

These cotter pins were very thin so bending them with a thumbnail was no trouble. Now we remove the lower cotter pin.

Remove the final bit of linkage.

Now we remove the riser off of the "air horn", which is a fancy way of saying the top tube off of the carb. This screw has a nut on the other end, but it's clamped in there. You shouldn't be able to lose it, but don't try really hard just in case.

Now just remove the riser by pulling it straight up.

Old January 28th, 2013, 04:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Then look at what's left. You have three main parts of the carb standing in front of you. The air horn on top, then the main body and finally the bottom part, which I forget the name of right now. We'll call it "the bottom plate" for now. My helper said we should just call it "Bob".

Remove the screws connecting the air horn to the main body. They're located here:

and here. This one also releases the brace that the throttle cable connected to. Don't lose them, store them together.

Then here...

And here...

on to here...

Then here, and this one's kinda hidden so pay attention

There are two long springy plungers under the main body so as you pick it up be careful to come out pretty straight and hold it over something like my awesomely manly pink and turquoise towel (mentioned earlier). You never know when stuff will fall out. If it does, don't sweat. We'll show you where it goes later.

Lift the air horn off of the main body.

Be careful with the next portion. There's a little BB (yes, like you'd shoot in a BB gun) rolling around in two parts of the carb. The first part is right under this spring, which you might need to fish out with a screwdriver.

Now pour out the BB into your hand slowly so it doesn't jump out and run off.

Here's a pic of everything we have done so far, with screws in the order they were removed, left to right...

Here it started getting HOT under that boiling sun. We had to set up a little tent shade from Cecilia's cover. It worked OK for the time being.

Our shelter set up, we continued by removing these little needles. There are two of them.

Now remove the cotter pin from the pump piston if you have one on it. Mine didn't. Say it with me now....Gremlins!

Mine also had a washer on the top of it with a spring poking through the hole. I'm 99% sure that was NOT factory rigging. When we rebuild we'll leave both the spring and the extra washer off. It's not pictured in my manual at all.

Unless that breaks something. Then we'll just make it ugly again.

Here my expensive internet downloaded carb manual said to - and I kid you not - take a block of wood and a small wrench to pry out the vacuum piston pump (the second springy thing, located in the center of the carb). I thought, well that's weird. But if you say so...

My vacuum piston was stamped in and no amount of gently tugging would pull it loose. So I obliged it as directed and sent the top flying off into the sunset. DO NOT DO THIS, though it made a beautiful SPROING noise.

I found out later you don't even need to remove the vacuum piston as there isn't anything you need to replace in there. UGH.

Oh, and of course you can't buy this part for anything. Instead I had to get a magnet and fish the yard for the cap then I JB Welded it back together. It'll disintegrate over time in the gas but I plan to replace it anyway so no sweat there. It just has to work for a few weeks.

Anyway, lesson learned. Fun stuff keeps the boredom away, right?

So moving on, we remove this big screw holding the throttle cable connections. Be careful though, there's a tiny spring on the back of the connections (shown below)

You only need to unhook one side of the spring, the side that hooks to the carb. The other side should be stuck on due to a pinch in the linkage. Just gently remove the whole thing and set it aside. We'll dip the entire thing as a family project.

Next remove the brass fitting on the outside of the carb where the gas went in. My photographer had a potty/lunch break and took my camera so no pix. It's pretty easy though. Just unscrew it with a wrench and pull out the little rocketship looking pin inside by unhooking it from the float with a screwdriver.

Then use the same screwdriver to unhitch the metal pin on the float side of the carb holding the back of the float in. It'll spring off by itself if you're not careful so put a hand over it as you pop it loose.
Then remove the float and it's little pin that holds it in place.

Here's a pic of the stuff we've removed so far, in order from left to right, in rows top to bottom.

Now find some small wire to clean out the pins. Don't laugh, I have some of the wife's flower arrangement wire here. It works. Shut up.

There are four more holes to clear while you're at it. The two inner ones are inside the smooth walls. You might have to hunt around for them. The outer ones are the big boobie looking nubs sticking up.

Now grab the trusty screwdriver again and remove this center piece. There is another even smaller BB under this so be careful.

Again, be careful when you remove it...There's another BB under it.

Then pour out the little BB inside.

Now flip the whole thing over and take off the bottom big screws. These cover your jets. We won't be removing the jets this time but we will clean them out with the wire. Removal is unnecessary.

Under those big screws is two very dirty, probably invisible copper washers. Remove them and set them aside in case your new ones break when installing. Then clean the jets inside with the wire.

Now remove the vacuum brass fitting on the outside of the carb.

Now we begin removing the four little screws on the very bottom. These hold on "the bottom plate", or Bob if you prefer.

They're located here...

And here

And here...

And finally here.

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

After that just lift off "the bottom plate" and set it aside. This completes the disassembly portion of our show!

You can now start cleaning your parts! Grab a wipe-off towel and it better be a big one because you'll have almost a full towel of funk.

I took the air horn and dipped in the dip for 20 mins. The instructions say 15-30 mins. 20 mins seemed ok. Here's a before and after. I did have to dip the main body for two 30 min rounds though (not shown).

Now it's safe to reattach the top back on the air horn. There is no replacement gasket in your bundle so treat it carefully.

Continue dipping parts, wiping them, and putting them back in their order. Set a timer so you get a reminder and keep parts moving through the dip. A simple egg timer that you steal from the kitchen is perfect. Buy her another one though because it's going to get nasty.

While that's happening we can open some plastic. Yummy fresh parts.

This is part of what all you'll replace from the first package.

You'll also replace these parts...

And here's the old ugly ones.

Next open up your new piston assembly. There's a bit of cardboard on the end of it - don't remove that until we're ready to put it back inside the carb.

The old parts...

Reassembly will commence tomorrow after the JB Weld dries