6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old November 10th, 2015, 09:24 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Grampa's 60

Figured I would go ahead and start the 'journal'.

Finally got the permit to build (a shade over 2 year process). Even though this isn't the truck itself, without it there's no restore. This was poured last week and figure to start the building assembly tomorrow. You can see the old girl sitting there waiting patiently

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

. Depending on what I find for help this could be anywhere from a week to 2 months project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0207.jpg (1.40 MB, Multiple views, 72 clicks)
Old November 10th, 2015, 10:10 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Grampa's 60

Good start! Is that you out there doing the concrete?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 12th, 2015, 01:40 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Hehe, no way. Too much skill involved for me to be doing that. That is a buddy of mine/my pastor. He used to be a contractor and did a GREAT job on it.
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:42 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1960 3500, 305D heads
abus319 is on a distinguished road

Sweeet!, got the Pastor out doing the jitterbug!
It looks like a nice size shop. You going stickwall or steel?
Old November 13th, 2015, 02:05 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

HAHA! yea, I guess all the pot lucks haven't completely ruined him yet.

It's 30' x 48' 2" which is about all I could fit on the lot without variances. It's all steel 'versa-tube'. Same company that makes the ones Lowes sells, but they had a plant here in town at the time (since moved about an hour away) so I was able to pick it up directly from them and cut out the middleman costs and shipping.

Ironic thing is though, I chose this one over the traditional 'red iron' buildings because of how simple they are and about anyone can put them up. They fit together like a puzzle basically and include everything. I had some guys come over yesterday to give me an estimate on putting it up though, cause I had some knee work done this year that has slowed me down a bit and they are friends of a friend and will be getting a pretty good price on it from them. But they get here yesterday and start off with "wow, we've never done one of these building before!" and the dad kept walking around it looking at it and mumbling "whew, this is going to be labor intensive"...seriously...4 or 5 times he said that..to no one in particular. So here I bought the 'easy' building, but apparently a lot more 'labor intensive' and it could cost me. Oh well, I've already decided, if they want more than $1000 to put it up I'll just go back to the original plan of doing it myself and hope to have it done by the end of the year

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:46 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Thats a nice size shop! I don't know anything about versa tube but if the friends of friends price is too high you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you approach it as a long term project and don't try to push that knee too hard. If I was closer I would offer to help ya a few days.
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Roger that, and thanks, I wish you were closer

. That's okay though, I've got a couple neighbors that have been DYING to help me put this thing up, for some unknown reason. Labor is less the problem than it is the skill at this point. It'd make things kind of uncomfortable around here if one of my neighbors fell off and died putting up the sheeting, lol.
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:06 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Roger that, and thanks, I wish you were closer

. That's okay though, I've got a couple neighbors that have been DYING to help me put this thing up, for some unknown reason. Labor is less the problem than it is the skill at this point. It'd make things kind of uncomfortable around here if one of my neighbors fell off and died putting up the sheeting, lol.
Maybe some of those neighbors want to do something similar themselves and want to see how it is done... or maybe they want to be able to ask favors later...

mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old December 12th, 2015, 02:26 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Hows the shop coming?
Its hard to get anything done during the holidays isn't it.
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

LOL...YUUUP! The guy I had looking at doing the work finally texted me back last week. Apparently he had some severe health problems but to take SO long to get back to me...AND he hasn't gotten back to me since last week again already...I'm thinking I will be moving on and doing it myself.

The other reason I've waited so long is the building kit had a wrong part! One of the base rails too so I couldn't even start until I got it. That got here last Thursday.

I've got some time this week, where I'll see if I can get things laid out for anchors at least... hopefully. Then, yea, probably after the first of the year before I'll get back to it.