6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

On the transfer case I would recommend just draining out your old gear lube and then adding the amount that your specs say and do it slow with those upper plugs out. If you have a lot left when you get to the first plug, plug it and keep addin' the gear lube. The tranny is simple enough but It wouldn't hurt to drain it and refill too If you haven't. You couldn't have gotten any water in them while pressure washing. Even if you did a change of lube would be needed.

I don't think those would squeal like you describe though, it kinda sounds like a throwout bearing might be trying to seize up. That could damage the pressure plate and clutch fork quickly. Another possibility is the pilot bearing, which has to spin when the clutch is pushed in and in either case the tranny has to come out. That one can hurt the input shaft on the tranny. Hope it is an easy fix for you.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Looks like your on the right track Pepsi the plug at the lower level is the drain. When empty replace the drain plug leave the top plug out then fill with gear oil till it runs out then replace the plug. Most all trucks and pickups are the same in the way of checking the level of rear,trans or trans-case. In finding what is making the noise take off the drive shaft. Run the engine with the transmission in gear and that being a 4 wheel take the front shaft off also. that should tell you where the noise is coming from. It is possible it could be a U joint but I don't think so. The process of elimination as simple as it gets. Hey that Red Line gear oil is good stuff the fleet I drove for used it in all there trucks. Good luck on the problem..Vernski

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Thanks Vernski. Do you mean the transmission plugs are labeled right? The transfer case has two "upper" plugs, one way higher than the other. Not sure which one it should be.

Common sense says more oil is good so Im thinking its the top one way up by the bottom of the cab but it could be splash lubed I guess? 4wd isnt really documented much that I can see anyway. At least not till this build is complete haha!

Quote:
On the transfer case I would recommend just draining out your old gear lube and then adding the amount that your specs say and do it slow with those upper plugs out. If you have a lot left when you get to the first plug, plug it and keep addin' the gear lube. The tranny is simple enough but It wouldn't hurt to drain it and refill too If you haven't. You couldn't have gotten any water in them while pressure washing. Even if you did a change of lube would be needed.

I don't think those would squeal like you describe though, it kinda sounds like a throwout bearing might be trying to seize up. That could damage the pressure plate and clutch fork quickly. Another possibility is the pilot bearing, which has to spin when the clutch is pushed in and in either case the tranny has to come out. That one can hurt the input shaft on the tranny. Hope it is an easy fix for you.

Later---DAC
I was planning on doing the fluid chances as I moved up the drive train bit by bit. I wanted to pull them out and re-do all of their seals. My oil pan leaks almost as bad as the rear end. This might force my hand on the trans though.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Which part is the throwout bearing? I took pics here for raycow and I saw a fork and a spinny metal sleeve. Everything else is covered by a big metal (cast iron?) circular thing. Do I need to try to take that off too?

Thanks for the help guys. Any newbies reading this pay attention! Best club ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

The throwout bearing is the spinny sleeve thing. The pilot bearing is in the end of the crankshaft.
I'm not sure what the upper bolt is on the transfer case but I doubt it is a fill hole. It could be an inspection hole or an optional place for a vent tube if it was used in other vehicles?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:24 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The throwout bearing is the spinny sleeve thing. The pilot bearing is in the end of the crankshaft.
I'm not sure what the upper bolt is on the transfer case but I doubt it is a fill hole. It could be an inspection hole or an optional place for a vent tube if it was used in other vehicles?
The upper bolt "hole" turned out to be a linkage shaft covered in grime. Tasty!

This weekend I took off to the Blonde's parent's place for what I thought would be some fishin and heavy duty BBQ. Instead I was surprised with this bunch o goodies. I can never tell if her dad can stand me (I stink at reading people) so little things like this really make my day.

If any of you guys have sons-in-law that you care about do something nice for them. It really makes a lasting impression.

As an encore he welded my stepside brace where my bolts broke off. We found 1/2 inch bolts that were almost exactly like the originals. Tack, tack. The nuts attached.

Back at the house I turned my attention back to the tranny. The spring I found was some kind of fork return spring for the shifter fork. I hooked it back up like this but it still made that awful skreeching noise.

The transmission cover plate was filthy and grimy with some kind of oil or grease so I put it in a bucket and poured my carb cleaner jug into it. Then I wiped it down with the fluid until it started coming clean.

Start to finish was around 10 minutes.

Now that it was clean I could see it had a big dent about the circumference of a finger in the front of the pan. I thought it might be a good opportunity to try my hand at smoothing out a dent. Here's the original dent. It's on the ridge to the left of the blue hammer handle in the pic.

I lightly scuffed it with sandpaper to better see where it was high and low. Then I banged on it with the pointy end of the Eastwood body hammer I mentioned earlier in the thread. I used the one that is the pointiest like an old kindergartener's pencil.

I alternated between banging on the dent using just a little more than the weight of the hammer and lightly sanding the other side to check the progress. After 20 minutes I had this:

Not too shabby right? I was giggling like a school girl. I must have been too loud though because the Redhead came out grumbling about all the banging noise. So I told her I was done and had to wire wheel this cover. She halfway showed some interest in trying it.

5 minutes later she was hooked.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

It took her about 20 minutes of wheeling to get this.

Meanwhile I ran my new grinder with my compressor on the welds. Followed by a wire wheel and some Ospho spray.

Then I sprayed her cover with bedliner like everything else that lives under the truck.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:06 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

And that was the end of my procrastination. I tried driving Cecilia with the spring back in place. It didn't help. I had the Redhead listen as I drove slowly past so she could hear the squeak. It was coming from up under the cab so that meant the transmission and not the transfer case. I'm not sure yet if that's good news.

I rolled up the sleeves on my sleeveless shirt and got started. I used a 5/8 inch wrench and drained the oil into a pan. It was a pretty good amount but it smelled like butt.

Next I started to remove the linkage. The little cotter pins didn't budge. They're really frozen in there. So I removed the bolts instead. They're 9/16".
As I took them off the Redhead wheeled them too. I've created a monster.

Bolts out, I had to tickle them with a hammer to get the brackets off the pins. Then I labeled them for reconnecting.

Moving rearward the next connection was the 4WD shifter. I pulled the two bolts off of the tailshaft on the tranny to get that free.

Finally I thought I'd need to pull off the little mini drive shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell T221 transfer case. I found four bolts on the end of the driveshaft by the transfer case. They were 1/2 inch. I worked all four of them off but the thing didn't budge.

So what could I do? It practically begged me to hammer on it. Who am I to disappoint? I hammered on it a little then I would switch off to prying on it with a big honking screwdriver. Finally I got it to slip out of one side. From there I worked it free of the other then banged the little U-bolts out with a hammer. Watch out, it'll fall on you if you're not careful.

Once its free you just have to pull it out of the tailshaft and it comes free.

I dont know if it matters but I marked the shaft and connections so I could put it right back where it came from in the same position. I'll clean it up and paint it with bedliner too.

The only things left are a few bolts at the front of the transmission. These crossmember bolts and maybe some on the flywheel.

I don't want to take a bolt off and have 40 springs pop out everywhere so I asked on the transmission forum what to do next.

Old September 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

The next six bolts have been keeping me up at night. I worry that it'll fall out on me and crush me like a grape, lol.

I sneaked out there today like a super ninja. A super ninja that wears jorts and a dirty tshirt.

Yeah I'm smokin off the clock. Lock up the wimmings

So I sneaked under there while the baby was down for a nap. I only had 2 hours for unbolting, cleaning up, and taking a shower before she woke up so I was in a bit of a rush. I started with putting a vice grip on the 4wd shifter because it kept falling on me.

Then I put a jack stand under the flywheel. I later found out that this is not a great idea. Instead I should have put a jack under the back of the engine and raised it up just barely 1/8 inch to take pressure off of the motor mounts after the tranny is removed.

Also the flywheel MOVES! Who'da thunk that? If it fell on a jackstand it'd probably just roll off and chase me down the street.

There was a little tab on the crossmember (big steel platform under the transmission) beside each bolt. I bent it away with a screwdriver. I think its there to keep the bolt from backing out.

Then I grabbed a 3/4 inch socket and BZZZT! Out they both came. Easy as pie. I moved up to the transmission bolts now. The top ones are facing the rear of the vehicle, the bottom ones are buried behind the bellhousing. Seems intentionally evil to me. Today I took the top bolts out and left the bottom ones in.

Next thing I'll do is put a jack under the transmission to hold it up and remove those two bottom bolts. Then wheel the whole she-bang out for cleanup and inspection.

Old September 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Just called NAPA and its a good thing I did. Nothing was in stock. I ordered a Pilot bearing, clutch release bearing, and two new tranny mounts in case mine are cracked when I get them off. If not I'll re-use them and take these back.

Everything will be delivered on Saturday morning. Click the pic to see a larger image if you can't make it out. Total cost = $82.86

Thanks to Cort60 for the part numbers. The clutch disk I'll have to have redone at a shop. Still not sure how that'll go or what kind of shop does that kinda thing.

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:19 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

That's cool, and I learned more about these trucks from your NAPA order! I never knew the pilot bearing was a ball type, and you must be able to remove the throwout bearing from the sleeve the clutch fork holds on to.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
That's cool, and I learned more about these trucks from your NAPA order! I never knew the pilot bearing was a ball type, and you must be able to remove the throwout bearing from the sleeve the clutch fork holds on to.

Later---DAC
I'm picking them up here in a minute when the Powder Puff and the Blonde get back from volleyball practice. They just came in from Dallas (parts, not the girls lol). I hope they work OK. I got the numbers from someone that had just rebuilt their sm318 transmission so they should be good to go. If not we'll all learn something new

The part numbers for anyone without picture access are:
  • Transmission Mount (have to shave off the bottom left corner) BK6021034 = $13.38
  • Clutch Release (Throwout) Bearing BRG N1181 = $33.99
  • Clutch Pilot Bearing BRG BR7109 = $35.49
All NAPA part numbers. For the throwout bearing you'll need to save your old collar and press in this bearing. Not sure how that's going to work yet. Hammer? Grease and a thumb? I dunno. Then again I didn't know what the throwout bearing even was until this all happened.