6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I always cut mine out from the inside. I just use a utility knife and I follow the metal flange that the seal wraps around. The seal is really thin there. Then just push it out top first. I pull old glass all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to do. I leave the old seal on the glass until I am ready to install. It helps protect the edges of the glass. Barry
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
When using a knife to cut the seal, be very careful with the point of the knife, if it snags the edge of the glass it could crack.
If you have never removed a glued-in window:
1) use a fine braided wire like a guitar string or piano wire
2) always apply force parallel to the glass edge, as any small bending or pressure force on the edge will quickly break the window
3) use a gentle sawing motion with the force applied towards the metal frame
4) take your time if you want to save the glass.
Since the windows on these trucks are not glued in (or shouldn't be) this should not be a concern.

Although it is good advice for windows on vehicle with the glued in windshield. Such as my old (long gone to scrap) mid 70's Pontiac...
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I can't imagine a knife would cut this seal unless there's a power blade on it. I'm serious about how hard it is. It's like a rock. from the description there I guess this isnt normal. I dont want to break the glass of course but maybe I can take a propane torch to it or something and get it more pliable?
Just thinkin out loud
Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:31 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I always cut mine out from the inside. I just use a utility knife and I follow the metal flange that the seal wraps around. The seal is really thin there. Then just push it out top first. I pull old glass all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to do. I leave the old seal on the glass until I am ready to install. It helps protect the edges of the glass. Barry
Barry is a lot more brave than me! I have a friend that owns a automotive glass shop in town and he is who I rely on when glass has to be removed, but with some patience and help using his cutting technique gives me a little more confidence now too.

Quote:
Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.
I did a couple of similar repairs on my rock hard windshield gasket on my '55 GMC using standard black Permatex silicone. Permatex makes a clear "flowable" windshield silicon that is a great product. I discovered it by accident many years ago when I was looking for a way to make my own silicone coated sponge tires for racing HO scale slot cars. After that I have used it to repair numerous windshield leaks. See the link below.

I sure have to figure out posting links again now that I'm using Firefox!

DAC

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday

Last edited by GMCDAC; December 6th, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelin
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'll look at the inside but I think its just as hard inside as it is out. More like hard plastic than any kind of rubber.

Quote:

that's a good warning. i didnt think about it cracking the glass.

Quote:
I did a couple of similar repairs on my rock hard windshield gasket on my '55 GMC using standard black Permatex silicone. Permatex makes a clear "flowable" windshield silicon that is a great product. I discovered it by accident many years ago when I was looking for a way to make my own silicone coated sponge tires for racing HO scale slot cars. After that I have used it to repair numerous windshield leaks. See the link below.

i put some sealant in the ol cart for my next order. If its a small crack or something I can fill it with that for now and move up to a replacement when the time comes. How did you get that hard 55 gasket removed? Hammer and chisel?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Today I didn't do anything to my truck. She's covered in SNOW!!!

But I did get something in the mail from a fellow member! BarryGMC said a couple of weeks ago that he was sending a present. I figured it'd be a string of welding beads because my welding is pretty crappy but he said, nope! Just keep an eye out. you'll like it.

I waited and waited.. I paced the floor. I did a puzzle. I twiddled my thumbs....

Finally it came today and after checking it (and grinning like a nut) I let the Powder Puff take over.

She carefully opened the box because I told her it was something very special that she shouldn't scratch up. Then she lost it. Daddy, it's a...it's a...It's a thing like "The Redhead" painted! Ooooh, it's so shinnnneeyyyy!!! (rub rub rub!)

I told her we should pose with them for a picture. she said, let me get them right. They have to be perfect you know because they're veeryyy speeecial!

I laughed and told her she should be fun with it. She said, Ok, I can just wear them like Cecilia does!

And this picture was born.

This was such a great surprise. We passed them back and forth several times just looking at them shine. For anyone that doesn't know these are the Custom style emblems. The standard ones, like I have on Cecilia now, are painted white. They shined up real nice, but nothing like this. Here's a pic of them in my fire glow. The reflection was really neat but didn't transfer to a pic very well.

All of you guys are all invited to come over tonight and stare at them twinkling in the firelight with me. Bring a casserole.

Thank you BarryGMC, you surprised two very happy grease-monkeys on a dreary cold day! We can't wait to get Cecilia's new "ear rings" on her. Stay safe up there!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:27 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll look at the inside but I think its just as hard inside as it is out. More like hard plastic than any kind of rubber.

that's a good warning. i didnt think about it cracking the glass.

i put some sealant in the ol cart for my next order. If its a small crack or something I can fill it with that for now and move up to a replacement when the time comes. How did you get that hard 55 gasket removed? Hammer and chisel?

LOL---I'm afraid the rock hard gasket is still in the truck! It had 2 gaps like David described that I filled with the black Permatex. So far I haven't needed to use the flowable stuff on it. My door gaskets are where the weather gets in the '55, along with a couple rust holes---. This gasket will stay in until I get more serious about bodywork on it.

Now how cool is that present from Barry? Not only great looking parts but Y'all are having fun with them too! They will be great on your GMC!

May I ask where "Edmond" is?

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old December 7th, 2013, 03:01 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

She sure is beautiful, Pepsi.
I have a feeling she won't let you get too sad. That's sure a happy face she's got goin' on there.
Me bein a Dad to three gals, youngest 26 yrs.....I sure have a natural understanding for how it goes for you.
For the most part....it's absolutely unbelievable.

But sometimes,....it's absolutely unbelievable how quick you can get your butt kicked by a few little girls.

BTW.....That's a "whole lotta love", Barry.

Last edited by Rockdriller; December 7th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old December 7th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Great stuff Pepsi . That old girl needs some sparkle. And I really enjoy your enthusiasm . Keep it up. Barry.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Not a real update, but I need to pick up some wood so I slapped her back together a little this warm-ish weekend. I'll need to put the bed temporarily on this next weekend and instead of killing myself I ordered up one of these

It comes in 2 boxes and only one arrived yet. So far I have a crossmember and a buncha wheels and bolts but I'm pretty excited about gettin a new toy

I've been wanting one forever for picking up the bed and if necessary removing the engine for painting and fiddling.