6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:27 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Question 305E Crankcase Ventilation Filter Housing

Problem:

It appears the crankcase ventilation filter housing wasn't just missing a filter, but appears to be clogged in the center hole. How it got that way...who knows. I had hoped to clean it out a get a filter in there so the engine can get the air it needs. Thanks to a tip from Culver in my build thread, this could be the cause of the engine spewing so much oil from the top rear area all over everything. However, this press fit canister won't even think about coming out. It is a lot cleaner in that area from spraying stuff all over it, etc....but just won't let go.

Soaked the base in PB Blaster for 24 hours. Can't get a good grip with my hand due to lack of clearance between engine and firewall. With top screwed off, I can grab the wall of it with channel locks and wiggle it, but wiggling and pulling as best I can, it is not budging. Tried prying from the bottom...again, not much clearance to work with, with it in the truck. So any tips before I destroy it?

Thanks guys!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM

Default Re: 305E Crankcase Ventilation Filter Housing

Well, for those who have not seen it, this is one removed, so it is possible.

Just can't believe mine won't break loose.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not taking any responsibility if you break it , but if it was me and I was sure it was push-on pull-off (I dont know with any certainty) then I'd probably spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster every day for a week, tap it lightly with a hammer and a piece of wood after spraying to vibrate it a little, then after a week I'd use that same wood to drive it in more. Like 2 taps or so, then try to pull it out with a wrench wedged in there, prying it gently or tapping the wrench with a hammer to tap it out.

Any way you can pull the engine to make it easier?

Also, if worst comes to worst you can poke the stuff back into the engine and just change the oil. It's probably had worse than that in it in the last 50 years. They're tough engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Heat it up a little down by the block with a torch. Then try to turn it back and forth and in and out. That old oil has just hardened into a mess. And the heat will soften it up.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I'm not taking any responsibility if you break it , but if it was me and I was sure it was push-on pull-off (I dont know with any certainty) then I'd probably spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster every day for a week, tap it lightly with a hammer and a piece of wood after spraying to vibrate it a little, then after a week I'd use that same wood to drive it in more. Like 2 taps or so, then try to pull it out with a wrench wedged in there, prying it gently or tapping the wrench with a hammer to tap it out.

Any way you can pull the engine to make it easier?

Also, if worst comes to worst you can poke the stuff back into the engine and just change the oil. It's probably had worse than that in it in the last 50 years. They're tough engines.
Thanks Fetch! I'm with you there. I was certain it wouldn't be that difficult to pull off. today will be 48 hours of PB soaking. Tried the prying approach you mentioned late yesterday using a 1x2 scrap of wood I had that fit nicely between the block and the fat part of the housing, but then that was not equal leverage on both sides of the main body. I guess this will be like Chinese water torture. Keeping persisting until it gives.

Sadly, can't pull the engine. Don't have the tools for that. Even if I did, I would have to gut all my junk out of the garage first. I made the mistake of moving into a neighborhood with a lovely HOA and covenants. Not sure they would be to keen on me doing that much work in my driveway. Looking forward to moving again for that reason alone. That's another rant though

I was planning on changing the oil anyway so may just take a chance on the poking it on out and letting the shop vac suck up what it can while doing it and hope the oil change and oil filter handles the rest.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Heat it up a little down by the block with a torch. Then try to turn it back and forth and in and out. That old oil has just hardened into a mess. And the heat will soften it up.
Thanks Barry. Will see if I can borrow one and make that happen.