6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old March 26th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 3/4 Ton Wideside
GJones is on a distinguished road
Question Need Guidance on Adding AC & Power Steering to a 305e big block V6

I need some advice fixing up Grandpa's truck.

Last year I found my Grandfather's 1966 GMC 3/4 ton farm truck. He sold it around 2008 before entering a nursing home and passed away in 2010 (at the age of 93). Unfortunately, he either didn't tell anyone who he sold it to, or if he did, nobody could remember.

I called every wrecking yard and car lot for 50 miles and found nothing, I looked on and off for 5 years and had given up, before stumbling across someone by accident last spring who knew what became of it. It had been sold to a guy who repainted it, and sold it.

I tracked him down and found that it had sold two more times before I was able to finally track it down and purchase it.

I am now trying to restore it for my sons to use when they get older. In the restoration, it's important to me to keep it as original as possible (meaning I don't want to part with the 305e V6).

Grandpa used it as a farm truck. He would use it to haul cotton trailers to the Gin. It didn't have Air Conditioning and he never bothered putting it in.
I also didn't have Power Steering.

I'd like to add both to make it easier and more comfortable driving in the city. I purchased Power Steering and AC kits off EBay that both 'claim' to work on a 1966 GMC 1500 3/4 Ton pickup.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to install either (so far) because of the pulleys and brackets.

Does anyone know where I can find brackets and pulleys to add these onto a big block 305e V6? Or, if there is a later model engine that may have brackets and pulleys that would line up with a 1966 big block 305e V6?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by GJones; March 26th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need Guidance on Adding AC & Power Steering to a 305e big block V6

Welcome to the forum, G Jones! That's awesome that you were able to track down and buy your Grandpa's GMC. Keeping it in the family now so that your sons can enjoy it too will mean a lot for them.

As you've discovered with your PS and A/C kits, most of those are designed for trucks with small block Chevys in them. The parts you need for your V6 are out there, but more difficult to come by. We have lots of helpful people here on the forum, so hopefully somebody out there can help you.

When I was upgrading my '62 Suburban, I had a choice of adding PS or A/C. To my way of thinking, A/C is much more important for comfortable driving. I like the exercise I get from not having power steering. If you can find a V6 out of a big truck with air brakes (like I did), it makes it a lot easier to add A/C. I bought the generic mounting brackets from Vintage Air and bolted them to the "ear" on the timing cover (aka water pump housing) where the compressor for the air brakes had been mounted. Click on the thumbnail photos below for an enlarged view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 401 #1.JPG (173.0 KB, Multiple views, 109 clicks)
File Type: jpg 401 #2.JPG (192.5 KB, Multiple views, 101 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 3/4 Ton Wideside
GJones is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ed!
I definitely want to keep in in the family for generations to come. I appreciate the insight and pictures.

Now I know what it should look like. I think you're also right in that I need to pick one or the other. Like you, I can handle steering, but in Texas AC is a must. So, I'll focus on that and stop messing with trying to do both.

Looks like I also need to start looking around in all the local wrecking yards.

The few that I've been to have had mostly newer vehicles. However, I'm sure there has to be some somewhere in North Texas that has older vehicles too.

Is there any online website to see if wrecking yards have vehicles like what I am looking for or do I just have to make a trip to find out?

Thanks again,
Greg
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:50 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJones View Post
I need some advice fixing up Grandpa's truck.

Last year I found my Grandfather's 1966 GMC 3/4 ton farm truck. He sold it around 2008 before entering a nursing home and passed away in 2010 (at the age of 93). Unfortunately, he either didn't tell anyone who he sold it to, or if he did, nobody could remember.

I called every wrecking yard and car lot for 50 miles and found nothing, I looked on and off for 5 years and had given up, before stumbling across someone by accident last spring who knew what became of it. It had been sold to a guy who repainted it, and sold it.

I tracked him down and found that it had sold two more times before I was able to finally track it down and purchase it.

I am now trying to restore it for my sons to use when they get older. In the restoration, it's important to me to keep it as original as possible (meaning I don't want to part with the 305e V6).

Grandpa used it as a farm truck. He would use it to haul cotton trailers to the Gin. It didn't have Air Conditioning and he never bothered putting it in.
I also didn't have Power Steering.

I'd like to add both to make it easier and more comfortable driving in the city. I purchased Power Steering and AC kits off EBay that both 'claim' to work on a 1966 GMC 1500 3/4 Ton pickup.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to install either (so far) because of the pulleys and brackets.

Does anyone know where I can find brackets and pulleys to add these onto a big block 305e V6? Or, if there is a later model engine that may have brackets and pulleys that would line up with a 1966 big block 305e V6?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome from the Black Hills, Greg. I love stories like yours and the determination to keep the truck in the family! I have a long-time family GMC also. I wish I could help on the parts, but here are a couple of pics of what I believe is a '64 or '65 a friend got a few months ago. He is still trying to get a title. We don't know if the A/C is original but I assume not as it had an under dash unit which is missing now. Maybe the pics might help you have an idea of what to look for.

I can't wait to see pics of Grandpa's truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Welcome to the forum, G Jones! That's awesome that you were able to track down and buy your Grandpa's GMC. Keeping it in the family now so that your sons can enjoy it too will mean a lot for them.

As you've discovered with your PS and A/C kits, most of those are designed for trucks with small block Chevys in them. The parts you need for your V6 are out there, but more difficult to come by. We have lots of helpful people here on the forum, so hopefully somebody out there can help you.

When I was upgrading my '62 Suburban, I had a choice of adding PS or A/C. To my way of thinking, A/C is much more important for comfortable driving. I like the exercise I get from not having power steering. If you can find a V6 out of a big truck with air brakes (like I did), it makes it a lot easier to add A/C. I bought the generic mounting brackets from Vintage Air and bolted them to the "ear" on the timing cover (aka water pump housing) where the compressor for the air brakes had been mounted. Click on the thumbnail photos below for an enlarged view:
Hi Ed, beautiful build! I too actually prefer the "armstrong" steering in my '55 GMC! I won't go in to details but I credit driving the old truck as much as possible after a pretty bad illness a few years ago as a key part of my rehab!

Here's the pics.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Karl's GMC.jpg (1.03 MB, Multiple views, 84 clicks)
File Type: jpg Karl's GMC3.jpg (1.03 MB, Multiple views, 64 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road

I have a 305 with an aftermarket A/C compressor still on it. I may have one with P/S brackets too. I can send pics if you want to see what they look like, once the snow melts (few weeks yet) and I can get to them.
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
atomman is on a distinguished road

If you still need a power steering pump, I have one that I just took off an engine.
Dan
dlmarx at bellsouth dot net
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:14 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post

Ed - That is a 401 engine correct? Would the same bracket work on a 305e?

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:29 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphaynes View Post
Ed - That is a 401 engine correct? Would the same bracket work on a 305e?
Yes, it's a 401. The Vintage Air brackets I used for mounting the A/C compressor bolt to the "ear" where an air compressor was formerly mounted. The 305E would not have this ear. It might be possible to swap your timing cover with one from a big truck equipped with the ear type cover.
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see you there Ed long time I don't know how to look at The Archives cuz I just got back on line but I did a I had a thread or something showing the hydroboost system I put on mine if you know how to pull it up and might help this guy taking a look at it who knows happy to see y'all
Old March 21st, 2019, 02:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdriller View Post
It's nice to see you there Ed long time I don't know how to look at The Archives cuz I just got back on line but I did a I had a thread or something showing the hydroboost system I put on mine if you know how to pull it up and might help this guy taking a look at it who knows happy to see y'all
Welcome back to the forum, Rockdriller. Hopefully somebody here can find your hydroboost thread.