6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old May 28th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
62Stepside is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy Alert

Hello all,

I'm in Spokane Valley, WA. I picked up a father-son JEEP project about three weeks ago from a field... the 1962 Jeep Gladiator factory 2 wheel drive has the 305 V6 mated to the T-98 4 sp.

It was a Forestry Dept. rig and I'm pretty sure they did the conversion since it is a pretty clean installation overall.

So far, I changed the plugs, wires and the Holly 500 CFM 2 bbl carb. The guy I bought it from put on new fuel pump to get it running because he wanted my son and I to be able to dive the project home.

Were keeping the engine in the jeep since it is a shocker to see one in a jeep. So, if you all don't mind, I'd like to hang out here and keep up with the latest info on the engine since most jeep guys thought I was wrong about having a GMC 305 V6, they thought I meant a standard SBC.

I've got plenty of pics and even a video, or two.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Guy Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Stepside View Post
Hello all,

I'm in Spokane Valley, WA. I picked up a father-son JEEP project about three weeks ago from a field... the 1962 Jeep Gladiator factory 2 wheel drive has the 305 V6 mated to the T-98 4 sp.

It was a Forestry Dept. rig and I'm pretty sure they did the conversion since it is a pretty clean installation overall.

So far, I changed the plugs, wires and the Holly 500 CFM 2 bbl carb. The guy I bought it from put on new fuel pump to get it running because he wanted my son and I to be able to dive the project home.

Were keeping the engine in the jeep since it is a shocker to see one in a jeep. So, if you all don't mind, I'd like to hang out here and keep up with the latest info on the engine since most jeep guys thought I was wrong about having a GMC 305 V6, they thought I meant a standard SBC.

I've got plenty of pics and even a video, or two.
Welcome to the club:

Sounds like an interesting conversion.
Sure looking forward to the pics, more info. and
you guys enjoy the new toy.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Amen brother! Thats a conversion I'd like to see too. Please post some pix! Having a father/son project is a great way to hang out with your kids too. Sometimes when my daughters and I are fiddling with our ol' truck I just look at 'em and say, "And she thanks we're just fishin'.." we both get a grin out of that.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:40 AM

Exclamation Re: New Guy Alert

Thanks, I think it is an unusual swap, too. I've only seen one other jeep with this engine and that was in Colorado.

Here's the jeep as it sits today (New tires and a power wash).

Here's the engine the day we brought it home:

It ran pretty good on the way home. But we did a tune up (plugs and wires).

Old plugs:

Really old oil filter, the code on the side was obsolete.

The oil gauge line dry rotted off, I installed a new line and reused the vintage gauge.

Then the carb started leaking.

I had a spare 500 cfm from another project. Ordered the adapter...
So my helper horses around going to get it...

That's where we're at today. I am planning on an HEI upgrade, but need to do some research 1st. Then dual exhaust... And detail the engine. I did attempt to paint, but stopped when the 57 GM red looked more burgundy/maroon than red.

Here's a video my son shot on the second drive around the block after the tires, oil change and mild tune up. My first YouTube video (his, too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOgq2ftgbuI
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Way cool a spokanite With a 305 v6 in a jeep. Jeeps aND jIMMIES ARE MY PASSION. I think I know why the v6 is in the truck. The government bought lots of Kaiser built stuff in the 60's with the horrible tornado engine. Locally the forrest dept also bought a lot of GMC Stuff. The tornadoes blew up regularly at very low miles. Now I have a 67 M715 with a 318 mopar that came from fairchild AFB. I bought this 20 years ago. It had a tornado engine that blew up in 71 at 3500 miles. In the 60's and 70's the airforce had lots of dodge trucks. A friend of mine was a mechanic at the base in the 70's and said they put mopar stuff in the m715 trucks because it was common knowledge the tornadoe engines were no good and they had lots of mopar crate engines and the occasional wreaked truck for parts. Finally I have seen a lot of chevy 292 conversions in m715 trucks. These appear to be Gov-mt approved because I have seen some paperwork to support this. So since the forrest service had gmc and kaiser built stuff at the same time it would not surprise me to see the motor pool mechanics use what they had, and from what I have seen on the other conversions the work was good. Barry. Spokane WA
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Way cool a spokanite With a 305 v6 in a jeep. Jeeps aND jIMMIES ARE MY PASSION. I think I know why the v6 is in the truck. The government bought lots of Kaiser built stuff in the 60's with the horrible tornado engine. Locally the forrest dept also bought a lot of GMC Stuff. The tornadoes blew up regularly at very low miles. Now I have a 67 M715 with a 318 mopar that came from fairchild AFB. I bought this 20 years ago. It had a tornado engine that blew up in 71 at 3500 miles. In the 60's and 70's the airforce had lots of dodge trucks. A friend of mine was a mechanic at the base in the 70's and said they put mopar stuff in the m715 trucks because it was common knowledge the tornadoe engines were no good and they had lots of mopar crate engines and the occasional wreaked truck for parts. Finally I have seen a lot of chevy 292 conversions in m715 trucks. These appear to be Gov-mt approved because I have seen some paperwork to support this. So since the forrest service had gmc and kaiser built stuff at the same time it would not surprise me to see the motor pool mechanics use what they had, and from what I have seen on the other conversions the work was good. Barry. Spokane WA
That makes perfect sense. I've seen a few m715's with the 318. That's a good motor, too.

It's nice to see another Spokanite around the forum! If you see us out and about, honk and wave and we can shoot the breeze!
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:42 AM

Nice truck!
I bet you guys will have fun at a cruise, or show, when Jeep guys come up and ask what-in-the- world iz zat?
Sure looks rust-free and straight sheet-metal, too.

I've worn out 2 '78 Jeep pickups, 1 '80, and still use a low mile '78 for bad weather. All with 360, quadra-tracs, toughest trucks I ever drove for farm use. I'm sure a Jeep believer for tough, hard-use trucks. Wish they still built them.
Not to offend any Jeep people, but imo, the pickups were the ugliest critters on the road, but loved them for their durability, tough, and almost impossible to break.

Looking forward to watching what you do to your truck.
Do you know what the approximate mileage is on the truck?

Last edited by Cayoterun; May 30th, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoterun View Post
Nice truck!
I bet you guys will have fun at a cruise, or show, when Jeep guys come up and ask what-in-the- world iz zat?
Sure looks rust-free and straight sheet-metal, too.

I've worn out 2 '78 Jeep pickups, 1 '80, and still use a low mile '78 for bad weather. All with 360, quadra-tracs, toughest trucks I ever drove for farm use. I'm sure a Jeep believer for tough, hard-use trucks. Wish they still built them.

Looking forward to watching what you do to your truck.
Do you know what the approximate mileage is on the truck?
It was a great find for a jeep guy like me. My son was asking for a jeep project for about a year before I started to look for one. This was the 4th one we looked at... It was 3/10 of a mile from the house, too. I suppose it was meant of be.

My first vehicle as an adult was a jeep Comanche and that truck worked and played hard. I've been a fan ever since.

No idea on the mileage, the speedo cable wasn't hooked up... It still isn't. I just took pics of the T-98 stamp on the tranny tonight, and the adapter plate, too. The mileage on the instrument cluster is a 89,000. But that's not saying much. With the straight body, minimal cancer, though, you never know. It is on my list of stuff to do to do a compression test on each cylinder.

The bench seat has "72 Grand Torino" written on the side in yellow paint marker. I guess the acyronym J ust E veryone E lese's P arts fits this jeep more than most. It does have a limited slip in the rear axle, but I don't know the gear ratio... That stamp/tag is missing.

Here's a short video of when the previous owner fired it up for us. It sounds like a louder singer sewing machine to me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Iw5oTgVI7D8
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Great Find, Welcome to the Club.

I saved your pics for use on the 6066 GMC Guy website if thats Ok with you. it will be posted on the Powered By GMC Big Block V6 page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.

Last edited by 6066gmcguy; May 30th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy View Post
Great Find, Welcome to the Club.

I saved your pics for use on the 6066 GMC Guy website if thats Ok with you. it will be posted on the Powered By GMC Big Block V6 page.
Great move, Jolly:
It's another example of how versatile the V/6-12s were, and how many different applications they popped up powering.