6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old September 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
62Stepside is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Guy Alert

That looks pretty nice, I would notice that if I saw it driving down the road.

I did the starter today and it's back to normal as far as starting.

Napa had the starter in Seattle. 90.00 +\-.

So I parked it outside while I am building a truck bed trailer and when I wrap up around 10:00 pm, I go to try the lights and they don't come on! I have tail lights, but no head lights. I check power to the light switch, it's fine. Out going power is nil. I replace the switch with a spare and lights come on. Then they ground out. I fix the ground and the lights come one again. Then they go out- again. I recheck the circuit and double check the grounds and nothing. Then I remember the last time this happened in another truck and check the dimmer switch... Incoming power, but no outgoing power. I swap the dimmer and lights are up an running again.

Here's a close up of the bad switch:

While I was at it I checked all the bulbs in the turn signal lamps and the headlight connections. The rubber gaskets looked great and the wires looked great, too.

I thought this pile of dust on the lower, inside portion of the headlight beauty ring was a bit weird.

So now I can drive her to work!
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

New guy has some skills! Nice job figuring it out.

I just went through the same thing but they started working before I found the problem so I had to keep looking. It was just the connection to the bright switch.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Nice work! What was the part number at NAPA for that starter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyduncan View Post
New guy has some skills! Nice job figuring it out.

I just went through the same thing but they started working before I found the problem so I had to keep looking. It was just the connection to the bright switch.
Lol, Yeah, that's usually how it works with floor dimmers. I tried the dimmer switch replacement first. I don't know what the blackend tab does on the actual headlight switch, but it looks melted and burnt and I am not sure why- it must've grounded out. All seems fine now. Whew.

FetchMeAPepsi
Re: New Guy Alert
Nice work! What was the part number at NAPA for that starter?

Here's the part number off the paper work:

Apparently the starters are getting harder to find. I was looking to have the old one rebuilt locally because the bushing kit is available. I did not get part numbers for the bushing kit, though.
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Thank you for this valid part number. I had to have mine rebuilt last time as well.
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

This one was at pull and save north last winter, the truck had a rebuilt stromburg, rebuilt distributor new clutch, coil,wires,water pump , and radiator. It also had a hole in the block! I got all of the stuff for about 75.00 I went back later and and grabbed the trans and light switch for about 60.00 more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (155.2 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
This one was at pull and save north last winter, the truck had a rebuilt stromburg, rebuilt distributor new clutch, coil,wires,water pump , and radiator. It also had a hole in the block! I got all of the stuff for about 75.00 I went back later and and grabbed the trans and light switch for about 60.00 more.
There's a GMC v6 at the valley pull n save in the pre-70 row right outside the door by the resale lot. Last I checked it had everything but the carb.

What do you reccomend for a power steering pump edition?
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Banned

I raided that truck the day they set it. The north one has a 66 i6 truck that had a lot of good stuff. They also have a 66 in the NEW. Old yard they are starting. No self service though. I bought a bunch off it to, areally cool bird hood ornament for 20.00. There is two two tons with v6 engines also. Go talk to Tim at the Spaulding counter at the north store. I think there is a j truck out back. It's all out behind the crusher. Lots of cool old stuff out there. It costs more but they are not crushing it for years. Also they don't charge to wander. I also know a bunch of old back woods scroungers from kalispell to enterprise Oregon . The Oregon guy just brought a 56 Willis wagon and on the 18 th is bringing a 58 Willis truck. No charge and with papers . This guy finds the craziest stuff. So if you want let me know what you need or want and maybe we can go treasure hunting.
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Banned

Forgot the pump and brackets ? Hahaha not to easy to find. I don't let them go when I get one. I have one now. I always keep one around. It's like spin on filter housings. And double pulleys . Hard to find. The pump is the same as international pickups and pull and save always seems to have one or two. I can let you copy the brackets if you would like. From what I have seen fab work comes easy for you.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Forgot the pump and brackets ? Hahaha not to easy to find. I don't let them go when I get one. I have one now. I always keep one around. It's like spin on filter housings. And double pulleys . Hard to find. The pump is the same as international pickups and pull and save always seems to have one or two. I can let you copy the brackets if you would like. From what I have seen fab work comes easy for you.

Lol. Rare as hen's teeth! I just figured that out after 1.5 hours scouring the net.

I have a season pass to pull n save- I am addicted to that place. I pull all the divorced np205's off the internationals. I have a few spare AMC 4x4 PS pumps I can use for mock ups, so copying the brackets would be great!

If you'd like to trade any of my motorin' skills for yours and get our own GMC V6 thing going, I am in, as I have A LOT to learn and I am will and able to work! I'll PM you my number and you can call me when it's good for you. Thank you very much!